Can you connect to internet for help while installing Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Can you connect to internet for help while installing Mint?

Post by gumby »

I have not yet run the Live CD. I'm going to do it soon, and then I will install it to my HD.

Is the Live CD still running while installation is happening? If I am confused during installation and want to seek help on the internet, is this possible to do from the same computer that you're installing Mint on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Decemberdoom

Re: Can you connect to internet for help while installing Mint?

Post by Decemberdoom »

Assuming your network card is detected and working fine, yes.

When you run the Live CD, there will be an icon on the desktop called "install". If you click that, the installer will come up, but you can still easily switch workspaces (Ctrl+Alt+left or right), and get online.

If you are able to, I recommend using Ethernet cables since Ethernet is quite a bit better for Linux support than Wireless.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Thanks December. I don't have ethernet, unfortunately, but the wireless I am using was good enough to download the whole Mint install CD in 1-1/2 hours using a torrent. I was amazed! (but then, it was my first time using a Torrent as well) :)
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

Speed really won't be affected by Linux (Actually, I get higher download speeds with Linux, even though I'm using Ndiswrapper instead of a real native driver), but generally, Linux distros usually have better support for wired networking than wireless, especially concerning "out of the box" installations.

Good luck!
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Thanks again. Last night I ran the Live CD for the first time and it detected my Broadcom wireless, no problem. I hope to install tonight after I have enough confidence about the partitioning issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”