Screen spanning

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Screen spanning

Post by Husse »

I tried to find something about this but I ended up in the second failed search today
Far to much ads for laptops in the search result or dual core instead of dual monitors
Have you tried the "Screen Resolutions" applet?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

No - a common complaint is that the screen is duplicated
I'm not familiar with the way intel graphics handles this - more nvidia and ATI
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't recognise it, but there is a guy that has a slightly similar problem with an Intel graphics
I have very limited time for anything but my job this week, but I'll try to find something
Husse

Post by Husse »

I thought of this and the other guy while I worked yesterday (I'm nowhere near a computer)
The x server writes (paints - I don't really know which word to use) the screen in four quadrants
You both have the upper left quadrant "filled in" the rest either garbled as in your case or black
I chatted with AvanceIT about among other things this problem (really not yours but the other guy) and he said he had only heard of it in some cases of a misconfigured Solaris
I've never seen it, the closest I've seen is when in Win98 if you select to low a resolution large portions of the screen ends up outside the monitor.
I hope I can find something about it, but it is odd and may drown in more normal errors ....
Husse

Post by Husse »

The image looks a bit like the Dell monitor is somewhat out of range
Yes I think the driver is OK judging by the looks of the laptop screen
Post your xorg.conf

Code: Select all

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf >> xcf
This will give you a printout in home
To find out about the range you can run xvidtune - don't use it to change anything, just display - it's a rather powerful tool
(May not work on DVI) Unfortunately I don't know how to use it on dual monitors....
Husse

Post by Husse »

Post xorg.conf as text - one can't scroll inside an image :)
Look like you may have to do something about it....
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ah- nothing much hidden
The virtual in xorg.conf should be the sum of both screens I think
There is a powerful command line tool called xrandr that may help you
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
At least that is a starting point

Return to “Hardware Support”