Mint KDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgast1

Mint KDE

Post by bgast1 »

If I want KDE, do I still need Darnya(? sp)? or install Kubuntu? Next comes the question on KDE, should I install a KDE 3. lastest version or KDE 4?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Mint KDE

Post by DataMan »

I'm running Mint V which is KDE 3.5.10 as my production operating system. This is from one happy user with respect to stability etc.

DataMan
garda

Post by garda »

There is a KDE CE version available, altough it is still at version 5 (Linux Mint 5 KDE CE). If you install KDE packages on a Main Edition install, you will not get the usual Minty goodness.

As for KDE 4.x vs KDE 3.5.x part, many developers believe that the latter is more stable and usable compared to the former. That is all I can say.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

ronnoc wrote:KDE 4.2 is generally considered to be stable and is what Mint 6 KDE CE will ship with.
The RC1 did ship with it and I have had no issues with it at all so far.
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

locutus wrote:
ronnoc wrote:KDE 4.2 is generally considered to be stable and is what Mint 6 KDE CE will ship with.
The RC1 did ship with it and I have had no issues with it at all so far.
I looked for it, but didn't see it anywhere. Can you provide me with a link so that I can download it?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

http://mirrors.cytanet.com.cy/linux/mint/testing/

or

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/linuxmint/testing/

These 2 links were taken from the KDE forum, topic: "The MASTER KDE CE update thread!" see pages 14 & 15:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=195
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

Thank You!!! Downloaded and installed. By the way the color of the splash screen and the wallpaper is the same as Jaunty Jackalope Alpha. But this is a long long way past Jaunty Jackalope Alpha and I haven't even begun to explore much yet. One thing that I don't like about KDE 4.2 is Amarok 2.0. It simply does not know how to handle my library like the earlier version. I haven't found a suitable workaround yet either.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I stopped using AmaroK about six months ago when I found "listen". It gives the lyrics of most songs as well as just play them. It works in 4.2 just as well as it did in 3.5 or gnome. Try it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”