Another missing padlock

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Another missing padlock

Post by Betwixt »

A mintUpdate padlock is missing from the taskbar of a Mint 6 installation. The user doesn't know what caused the disappearance but thought it was when an update took place. I haven't personal access and have to talk the user through by telephone, but I have verified the following:

The taskbar notification area still contains the Loudspeaker, Date/Time, and Network icons.
In Control centre > Sessions > Startup Programs tab, the mintUpdate application is ticked.
Updating can still be effected through Control centre > mintUpdate.

I've looked up past questions which mentioned adding Notification Area by using the Add to Panel facility, but in this case that didn't seem relevant because other icons are still being displayed.

So, how to get the mintUpdate icon back on the taskbar? Please!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: Another missing padlock

Post by distoaddict »

lexon

Post by lexon »

I had that issue. I had regular updates the first few weeks of using the new Mint 6 installation and then the lock went away. I would try manually and Mint update would open and tell me how many updates but the window is grayed out so I could select nothing. Had to force a close after 15 minutes.

I re-installed the OS.

lexon
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

As a matter of interest.Is the padlock there when mintUpdate is started manually?
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Betwixt »

distoaddict wrote:As a matter of interest.Is the padlock there when mintUpdate is started manually?
No, not at all but I have confirmed that updating through the Control Center is still a working option.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

I would consider installing Ubuntu update manager. it would be interesting to see if the red arrow appears with that if there are updates available.
Not as safe as mintupdate though.

Return to “Beginner Questions”