Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
Fred

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Fred »

Now clem, you know Boo doesn't make mistakes. You wouldn't tolerate them if he did slip up, and if Exploder can't break it, it can't be broken! :-)

Fred
rfpa

Post by rfpa »

For now, everything looks fine, except on one aspect.

Is it me or there is no photo management utility in Mint 6 Kde Rc1? I was trying to find digikam and got nothing. As you can see in the link below, digikam 0.10.0 and kipi plugins 0.2.0 will be released sunday, 8th of March. Will we be able to get it soon?

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/about/releaseplan

Thank you for this awesome Linux Mint flavour!
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Hi,
I believe that these bugs are those of KDE4, and I don't know if you can do something about it.
However:
- In the energy control, there are different profiles do not seem to work at all. ES. They say "if I press the power button ..." but turning off the pc with any choice.
- Changing the screen saver, always to the control center kde, kde often hangs with a white screen.
- The Mixer window appears at startup for no reason. And the main channel change to pcm automatic.
- Configuring a printer on windows with samba, not the button to browse the folders on the server.
- The network manager tells me that the network is weak, although the rooter is above my head.

Indeed, it seems a good distro on which you installed KDE4. I have done with others, the problems are these ... at the moment.

Thanks and good job.

NOTEBOOK: Dell studio 1535, ati radeon hd3450, audio hda intel, wireless dell mini 1397.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Power Management

Post by foggytown »

Are there two power managers?
If I single click on the icon in the system tray it pulls up "Guidance Power Manager"--but if I go to System Settings/Advanced/Power Management it pulls up another power manager (maybe called PowerDevil). I get oddly timed screen dimming on my laptop.

Boo, great job!! KDE 4.x is usable, well worth the wait. Thanx.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Thanks for this excellent release! Nice smooth out of the box KDE experience! The only issue I have found is that logging out can be slow. It can take 10 to seconds to complete the logout process. Probably more of a KDE issue than a Mint one. But I thought I'd mention it. My hardware is an Acer Aspire AST180 desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU.

Cheers....Paul
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

debug wrote: Other Bugs -

1) My screen brightness gets reset back to the lowest setting every time I login to the system. The brightness gets reset exactly at the time when the KDE splash shows the desktop being loaded, so I hope that narrows it down a bit.
To force maximum screen briteness as default:
System settings -> power management -> edit profiles -> screen -> move slider to the right.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I repost this bug from the Main KDE CE thread:

My Felicia KDE RC sports the same problem I had with Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2; i.e., graphical corruption of the desktop when I launch Openoffice.org :(
The OOo window decorations flicker or disappear or corrupt, and the same happens everywhere I put the mouse pointer, bottom panel included; so, Ctrl+Shift+Bspace is necessary to have an usable desktop again.
If I do not launch anything OOo, the desktop is stable. :cry:
I have an nvidia 7600GS with proprietary drivers correctly installed, no Compiz but just the default kWin settings.

Since it happened exactly the same with KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu, it should be a known problem (but I didn't find anything about it)
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Mint Assistant runs at install but it is missing from the kmenu and won't run from terminal.

Regarding power management: I disabled PowerDevil in the services manager and use Guidance Power Manager from the system tray to configure power management. This resolved all issues, no more random dimming of the screen.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

there is a fix to the mintAssistant having no icon in the menu.
enable the mint community repo and install mintassistant-kde.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
olefudd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by olefudd »

I switched the default file manager to Kong and now want to revert back to Dolphin but for the life of me I can't find a way back!
I've been playing with Amarok and not real happy with the new release. Has crashed several times now. I installed the older version from symaptic and is working flawless. Not sure if it's KDE 4.2 or Amarok 2 that's causing the problems.
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

kanishka wrote:I repost this bug from the Main KDE CE thread:

My Felicia KDE RC sports the same problem I had with Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2; i.e., graphical corruption of the desktop when I launch Openoffice.org :(
The OOo window decorations flicker or disappear or corrupt, and the same happens everywhere I put the mouse pointer, bottom panel included; so, Ctrl+Shift+Bspace is necessary to have an usable desktop again.
If I do not launch anything OOo, the desktop is stable. :cry:
I have an nvidia 7600GS with proprietary drivers correctly installed, no Compiz but just the default kWin settings.

Since it happened exactly the same with KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu, it should be a known problem (but I didn't find anything about it)
It is an Nvidia issue. Upgrading to the 180.xx drivers from the Nvidia site will fix it.

Paul
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Paul_Vandenberg wrote:It is an Nvidia issue. Upgrading to the 180.xx drivers from the Nvidia site will fix it.

Paul
Thank you very much, I'm going to do it now! :D
bernado

Post by bernado »

KDE 4.2 packages in Mint have been taken from the unstable experimental repository. If you enable the "backport" Repositorys you will get the latest (more stable ??) packages and further updates. So please Boo, enable the backport repository (not the "proposed" one) by default in the final version of Mint KDE4 or just release all updated packages on the DVD ( I don´t understand why you deliver the DVD without any updates) :D

Bernado
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

kanishka wrote:
Paul_Vandenberg wrote:It is an Nvidia issue. Upgrading to the 180.xx drivers from the Nvidia site will fix it.

Paul
Thank you very much, I'm going to do it now! :D
FIXED, no more corruption on my screen! YAY! :D :D :D
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Amarok 2.0 - Dynamic Playlists
One of my favorite features in Amarok (and Rythymbox for that matter) is dynamic playlists. I cannot get them to work in Amarok 2.0. What I am able to do in RythymBox and Amarok 1.4 is make a playlist of all songs from this artist, or from this genre, so that any songs that match any of the criteria are included. I can't get Amarok 2.0 to do this or even close. I tried just one criteria (album), set the proportion bar to 100%, which to me would mean that 100% of the songs in the playlist will include this criteria. It does not pick up all the songs of this album and further includes songs that doe not meet the criteria. I have tried posting to the Amarok forum, and let's just say they are not "Minty Friendly" to noobs like me there.
Has anyone else tried to use dynamic playlists and if so is there a special trick to it? I like using the latest version of a software, so if I can figure out dynamic playlists (one of my favorite features), I would like to stick with 2.0 rather than go back to 1.4.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

There is a noticeable delay when resizing windows? On this same PC, I run Compiz in Mint Gnome, and with the same settings, it is faster and smother. I have a year old quad core system (Core2 quad 6600), with a pretty recent ATI card (HD3850), and 2 gigs of memory. I would think I had the ability to run KDE 4.2 with everything on and still have a robust system.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

WildSioux wrote:re: Nvidia 180.xx drivers. What drivers did you install? I have the 180.29 currently installed and it is running fine.
I installed the 180.11. Everything is fine, except the occasional problem with firefox's scrollbars you described. And yes, the "Install scrollbar fix" did nothing :)
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

I went ahead and installed the RC1 on my system. Everything was running great, and added the Lancelot Launcher when all of a sudden, my system locked up while running a screensaver; one of the opengl ones as a matter of fact. Anyhow, I had to do a hard reboot, then when I logged back in, my Lancelot menu was messed up. It said something along the lines of "Could not find the requested component: lancelot_launcher". Any ideas how I can get that back> I went into Synaptec to reinstall it, but it said that it required a dependency that if I selected would totally remove KDE.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I would remove lancealot from the panel and put it back again.
you have to watch the lock and unlock widgets.
if you have it unlocked and your system crashes your plasmoid settings may be lost, espically if you just added a widget.
I dont even trust just locking the widgets to save the plasmoid options to file, i even log out and in to make sure.

you could also check the backports to see if there is a newer version of lancealot for 4.2. the current version was for 4.1 and i may have read that the next version was to be in the ubuntu repos once 4.2 was out...

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”