can I make a separate Home partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

can I make a separate Home partition

Post by hansencomputers »

Greetings,
I'm about to setup Mint 6 on my wife's PC. I was wondering if the Home folder can be made into a separate partition? Is this choice available during setup? I would like the ability to upgrade or reinstall Mint in the future without affecting the Home Folder (partition).

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eddie

Re: can I make a separate Home partition

Post by eddie »

Hi there,Yes you can have a seperate partition. IT is created prior to the install process using gparted.
Somewhere between 5gb and 10gb for /(root) folder,approx 1 gb for swap and whatever for /home. On an 80 Gb drive I use the balance of the drive for home and a seperate 80Gb drive for 'Data'

Should you need to reinstall then it is a good idea to delete (using Live disk) the hidden .files in your home folder first.
These can be found by opening your home folder and selecting View>Hidden Folders.

eddie
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

To add onto what eddie said...

Make sure you click "Manual" in the Mint installer when it asks you about partitions. From there you can select the partition you want to mount as /home and set it's mountpoint to /home.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks guys, I tested this on a separate hard drive, and was able to partition in the Mint setup, and achieved what I wanted. Consider it solved.

Mike
Fred

Post by Fred »

I was wondering if the Home folder can be made into a separate partition?
Yes... but do you have a real reason for doing so?
I would like the ability to upgrade or reinstall Mint in the future without affecting the Home Folder (partition).
That has never happened and never will happen. Anytime you upgrade, or even reinstall the same version, you will have to deal with config files in the /home folder, even if it is on another partition, if you don't format your /home folder/partition.

What you do gain is some isolation of your data from your install, if your data is in your /home folder. It is better to have your data in a separate /home partition than have it in your / partition in your /home folder.

If it is data isolation you are looking for you might consider making a separate data partition and not having it in your install at all.

Fred
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Fred, I guess what I am after is the isolation of my data, and can do so by making a separate partition, unrelated to the install. I will experiment with that option.

Mike
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

[TOTALLY OFF TOPIC]
Hey Fred - is that you in your avatar?
If so, nice to finally see you!
[/TOTALLY OFF TOPIC]

Sorry for hijacking the thread! :oops: :oops: :oops:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fred

Post by Fred »

Zwopper,

Yes, that is my ugly mug. One of my daughters caught me at my favorite pass-time, taking a nap. :-)

EDIT: My wife made me grow a beard several years ago to help cover up some of the "ugly." She said I was scaring young women and small children. :-)

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”