The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by arjay »

Been running rc1 for a couple of days and it looks pretty stable. No crashes or anything, but not sure I am ever going to take to kde 4. Just loved 3.5 for years but this is a different animal.

The main problem on install was a complete failure to detect the monitor (a bog-standard 2 year old Benq LCD on bog-standard nvidia fx5200). It insisted on running at 800x600 with the vesa driver (no other options). At this resolution, I cannot even see the bottom of some of the dialogue boxes which means i can't select admin mode to make changes :?

I hate the new xorg which only shows everything as "auto configured" and no monitor section at all. This is hopeless if you need to change settings. It is fine for MS Windows which has NEVER failed me in detecting a monitor (no good for much beside :D mind you) but useless for linux where I nearly always have to make some changes to settings.

I finally got it working correctly by interrogating the Xorg log and constructing a new xorg.conf file with setttings extracted from the log. Fine for me but how on earth would a newbie do it? Is there an easier way for all this?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@p10 check out or turn off the randr service.
it use to cause lots of screen flashing/resetting early on.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

My Felicia KDE RC sports the same problem I had with Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2; i.e., graphical corruption of the desktop when I launch Openoffice.org :(
The OOo window decorations flicker or disappear or corrupt, and the same happens everywhere I put the mouse pointer, bottom panel included; so, Ctrl+Shift+Bspace is necessary to have an usable desktop again.
If I do not launch anything OOo, the desktop is stable. :cry:
I have an nvidia 7600GS with proprietary drivers correctly installed, no Compiz but just the default kWin settings.

Since it happened exactly the same with KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu, it should be a known problem (but I didn't find anything about it)
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

exploder wrote:
If someone can tell me where to find additional KDE 4 widgets/plasmoids, that would also be appreciated.
I believe you can find lots of them here.

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcont ... cd1d8332e2
Is there a way to make the "Add Widgets" program point to that directory. When I try to use the add from web feature it points to a much smaller and less interesting list of widgets than your link had. I have tried following the directions to install the widgets, but it never works. Cmake gtells me I don't have a ...CXX compiler...blah, blah, blah...etc. and when I add a compiler, I get another unintelligible (to me as a novice) reason Cmake won't do it. The "Add Widgets" program on the other hand downloads and installs them flawlessly.

If someone could just tell me how to get it to point to this page (great Plasmoids there), or if you think you can make a Linux noob understand how to compile, and install the plasmoids, it would be appreciated. If you are going to try to instruct me in how to make Cmake work, please start with the assumption that I am an absolute caveman when it comes to Linux and Bash. Thanks.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Hmmmmmmm rc1 looked pretty good OOB but a few things I have tried to set up fell over:

1. Twinview with an nvidia card and right drivers works just fine with two monitors, but settings don't survive a reboot. After rebooting, I get only the primary monitor and the 2nd one is disabled. i can use nvidia-settings to reset it but goes again on the next reboot.

2. Can't set up a static ethernet setting with Network Settings as it has a bug (well written up by now). If you click on network settings it just says" Could not parse the xml file". I can set up a manual connection by editing interfaces file etc etc but resolv.conf (needed for my DNS) gets overwritten each reboot.

3. No sound with Skype - just says "Sound problem". I am working on that one. Soundblaster live card. Also dies in audacity after one recording with the mic (i.e can't make a second mic recording without closing and reopening audacity - just says "Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.)

Getting less happy by the minute :?
p10

Post by p10 »

Boo wrote:@p10 check out or turn off the randr service.
it use to cause lots of screen flashing/resetting early on.

Boo
Thanks for the tip Boo! Will be testing it out tomorrow!

I also notice that if I use the Dragon media player, and then try to use another media player afterwards there is no sound (system sounds are still there). A restart fixes the problem until the next time I use Dragonplayer.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

p10 wrote:
Boo wrote:@p10 check out or turn off the randr service.
it use to cause lots of screen flashing/resetting early on.Boo
@Boo: where do I turn it off from? I couldn't see anything in System Settings; I did find 2 libs installed looking at Synaptic. Should I delete one or both?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

The RC1 has been relesed so please post bugs to the bug thread.

Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=22787

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Well - sorry to have to say it but I have had just too many problems with rc1. Mainly kde 4.2 related but it just won't do i am afraid. What is a shame is i don't want to leave Mint. So i have downloaded and installed 6 Gnome (Felicia?).

I really dislike Gnome and have always loved kde - not just the desktop but some awesome packages - k3b, digikam etc. However, what is a guy supposed to do? Now I have to report that gnome is proving rock solid, and everything that was a problem with the kde version is fixed - problems with monitor resolutions, setting static Ethernet connections, sound in Skype and when recording - just to name a few. I'll persevere with gnome until the kde version looks more mature.

I think it looks very promising and I admire all you have done to get kde 4 up and running with Mint - a brave move I reckon. Here's hoping that it will soon be up to the standard we always expected from Mint...
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

arjay wrote:Well - sorry to have to say it but I have had just too many problems with rc1. Mainly kde 4.2 related but it just won't do i am afraid. What is a shame is i don't want to leave Mint. So i have downloaded and installed 6 Gnome (Felicia?).
Why not go back to Elyssa??? KDE 3.5.10 :)

I won't be moving to Felicia either as KDE 4.2. or 4.x is NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME. Additionally I am just not into having the kind of massive changes in the UI, settings etc. ala vistaturd and win7crap.

I can not stand gnome for a lot of reasons as well... so just get an Elyssa DVD and install it.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

rec9140 - good point re back to Elyssa. It had crossed my mind and, indeed, I had it on one of my PCs a couple of months back. But had the same problem with intermittent failures of sound there as well. I changed sound cards and it was ok for a few days then dead again. Moved to mepis 7 (bit of a distro junkie) and that was OK but a bit behind on latest packages. So came back to mint and thought I'd try KDE 4.2 - yuch. I am lucky enough to have several PCs - one of which I use to try out different distros. My main (mission critical) PC runs Debian 5 - everything has to work perfectly and I'm not worried about the latest of anything. Others include a media center (Mythdora 10.21), web design (Mepis or Mint kde), web testing (Win2000 for IE6 and IE7 - not bad actually, much better than XP or Vista) and my "play" box.

Don't you just love the linux choice :wink:
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

I'm not a really active member, but one who has installed and used LinuxMint 5.0 Main, 6.0 Main, 6.0 XFCE (very briefly). As a committed KDE person, I haven't been as active a LinuxMint user in the past because of your preference for Gnome. But I was excited about the announcement of 6.0 CE KDE 4.2, and have had it installed on one of my desktops for the last 36 hours, or so. I have got to say that the the changes are so numerous, and the problems so pervasive that I am burning a LinuxMint 5.0 CE KDE 3.5.x as I write this. I truly WANT to use LinuxMint, but this has been too steep a hill for the old boy to climb!

Your distro is TOP NOTCH -- not only in the technical aspects, but in the philosophical direction you are pointing toward. I truly believe that if any OS could make KDE 4.2 walk and talk correctly, you guys could; it is just before its time and, in many ways, inferior to its last version. I hope this doesn't spawn too much 'hate mail' in response, but let the chips fall where they may... :(

As I get ready to wipe my hard drive of 4.2, I can only hope that you will continue to maintain CE KDE 5.0 for a reasonable period, so that those 'old codgers' like myself will have time to wrap our heads around such drastic change in what has been such a fine window manager for so long.

Again, this is nothing on LinuxMint, just 'voice in the wilderness' ranting about what I see as change gone bad in an organization that is appearing far more MS-like than I would like to see in the Linux world.

I will check back in 2-3 hours, to see how badly my tailfeathers are singed. :)

Hawkeye
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:
I will check back in 2-3 hours, to see how badly my tailfeathers are singed. :)

Hawkeye
No singeing from me old friend. I could not agree more. I have stuck gnome on temporarily but I must say I am well surprised at how stable and solid it feels. All the things that wouldn't install or configure correctly under kde have worked really well under gnome. Mind you, fpost is pathetic after digikam and k3b is so superior to brassiere it makes me want to weep. But what to do? I cannot argue against the desktop itself. KDE - come back soon or I may have got too used to gnome to switch back.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

WildSioux wrote:
You will never know how to use KDE 4.2 if you don't stick with it. It may have bugs that you may have to work out. But learning a new interface is possible. I don't know how KDE 3.5.10 works since I barely used it. But I find KDE 4.2 to be simple and efficient.

Like I said, I have been using Mint6 KDE RC1 without issue for almost a week now and I love it. It just takes a little time to get used to it.
With out trying to start a fight, I honestly would like to hear what is so great with KDE 4.2?

Warning I am a die hard KDE fan, but 4.x is not thrilling me.
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

rec9140 wrote:
WildSioux wrote:
You will never know how to use KDE 4.2 if you don't stick with it. It may have bugs that you may have to work out. But learning a new interface is possible. I don't know how KDE 3.5.10 works since I barely used it. But I find KDE 4.2 to be simple and efficient.

Like I said, I have been using Mint6 KDE RC1 without issue for almost a week now and I love it. It just takes a little time to get used to it.
With out trying to start a fight, I honestly would like to hear what is so great with KDE 4.2?

Warning I am a die hard KDE fan, but 4.x is not thrilling me.
I absolutely loved the control I had over the look and feel under 3.5. Between themes, styles, window decorations, and icons, the possible combinations were immense. When I went to the KControl (or System Settings), I felt like I was in a foreign country -- not only were the choices limited, but there were none of the old combinations available. The configuration tools for the panel are unwieldy and inflexible. Is it possible to set a unique wallpaper to the number of desktops you implement? I spent at least a half an hour trying to figure that one out, and I believe the answer is no -- you can't have a unique wallpaper for each desktop. I found that feature invaluable, since I have more than one thing going, and tend to keep one or two items active on each desktop.

And what's up with the wallpaper? I must have selected those 'foldered images', but I am not sure when. It is a little frustrating to have to bore down through a couple of folders to see what the image looks like attached to the artsy names. And do the screensavers use the old /usr/share/wallpapers content or the /usr/share/background content? I didn't spend as much time on that quandry, but I believe the answer is 'it depends', but I just don't know what the 'depends' is. I felt like I was car shopping and had the distinct feeling that I was in the wrong dealership. :!:

I am sure the OS runs the programs fairly efficiently, if we ignore some of Dolphin's quirky behavior, but it just felt SO different, and there really aren't that many ways to learn what to do, without some real digging. I am sure KDE has some user help available, but the inherent way it operates begs for a pretty stiff learning curve. The person who does the LinuxMint Users Manual on this is going to be a HERO! :D

I hate to sound so negative, but exactly what was so broken in 3.5.XX that would warrant such a radical departure from its general operating set up? The patient must have been very ill to have warranted such radical surgery.... :shock:

I have just about got 5.0 set up comfortably for the grumbling old fart that I am, but so many of the applications are showing their age, and all the newer versions are behind the barbed wire of 4.X.

I have noticed a few posts with feelings similar to my own, maybe not as strong, but in the same general direction. There have been a couple of suggestions to include 3.5 and 4.2 as options in the final version. I would love that, but it may be an impossibility from a technical standpoint. Smarter folks than me would have to weigh in on the feasibility.

I feel like an old 'free range' cattleman from cowboy times in the old West of the USA, who has just seen the first fences come up on neighboring ranches. It is obvious that the fences will encircle me; it is an irrevocable direction KDE. And the safe, comfortable open range of 3.5 is slowly but surely blinking out around me. Before too long it will be 4.X or nothing -- maybe a few 'legacy distros' but not the main stream ones.

I guess I will cling to 3.5 for as long as possible, and pray that LXDE, or something like it, will mature into a full blown, polished window manager before the barbed wire is all around me. Pass me a stale cup of coffee while I take off these cowboy boots and await my fate.....

Hawkeye
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

As an olive branch to those who are really enjoying KDE 4.2: :oops:

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/20-all-new-tips-kde-42

Hawkeye
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:As an olive branch to those who are really enjoying KDE 4.2: :oops:

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/20-all-new-tips-kde-42

Hawkeye
Nice find! Although they look very similar to the tips in the latest Linux Format magazine. :?

EDIT: Darn, I didn't read all the way down to the bottom yet lol.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

A few problems

Post by roadrash »

I have encountered 3 problems so far using KDE RC1. All the partitions on my hard disk are mounting Ok at startup but I am unable to write to any of them this is annoying because i had this problem.

RC1 also takes a long time shutting down and then occasionally it will just hang and leave the PC powered on. when it does this I am still able to see & move the mouse pointer.

The final problem is that I am unable to access the partition with Mint 6 on it from within windows. I have both Mint 5 & Mint 6 on separate partitions &I formatted both with the Ext 3 file system. While I can see & open everything in the partition containing mint 5, I cannot access the partition containing mint 6. Windows vies it as RAW & says it needs formatting. This is very strange.

Other than this I am slowly starting to like Mint 6 & KDE 4.2, but will need these problems sorted before migrating away from Mint 5 & KDE3.5xx
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

I have found out the reason I was unable to write to any of my partitions was that my user privileges didn't include the group "users" or "fuse". As soon as I added my user to these groups everything was OK. Shouldn't a user be in the group Users?
jasmac

Post by jasmac »

Hi, have been using Mint 6 KDE for about a week now and am liking it. I have had no problems at all, everything that I wish to do I am able to do. I don't know what people don't like about it, I think it works well and looks good. Each to their own I suppose. I have a question about repositories, are we able to add the kubuntu ones or will the ubuntu ones suffice, I am just thinking about any updates that come out for 4.2, such as 4.2.1, and how we go about getting those updates. Will they work their way through as part of the Mint updates? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

Return to “Software & Applications”