is there a backdoor to encfs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

is there a backdoor to encfs

Post by hansencomputers »

I use encfs to keep some data secure. I'm wondering if there is a back door to encfs? I hear from time-to-time about other encryption programs having back doors, and want to know if this is the case with encfs.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: is there a backdoor to encfs

Post by Fred »

hansencomputers,

I can't really answer your question, as I haven't used this routine. I would sincerely doubt it has back doors however. It is a GPLed piece of software which makes that very unlikely.

I have used "TrueCrypt" however, and have found it to be quite nice and feature-full, as well as having an excellent reputation. It is also GPLed and is cross platform.

Fred

EDIT: Personally, I would never even consider touching a piece of encryption software that wasn't open source and peer reviewed. That is your best protection from that sort of thing, in my opinion.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Re: is there a backdoor to encfs

Post by hansencomputers »

Thanks Fred for all the recent help.

I am familiar with TrueCrypt, and used it in my Windows days. I too trust Open Source, but did not realize encfs was open Source.

Thanks, and have a good day.

Mike

Return to “Software & Applications”