Suspend and Hibernate issue

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Suspend and Hibernate issue

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, My machine is an Acer Veriton 3600G. Intel 865G based / P4 3.0 / 1024 RAM. The motherboard is an MSI MS7662 v1.0. Low power option is set to S1 & S3.

If I try to suspend it goes to sleep but upon trying to wake it I get all sorts of can't start type errors then a big crash requiring a cold boot.

If I try to hibernate it crashes instantly. Cold boot required (usually twice as boot will fail first time around)

Anyone seen these issues? I've had them on every machine I have loaded Mint onto.

Cheers

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hibernate and suspend can give a lot of problems on any hard- and software and it is quite often hard to find out why as this touches on "things deep down" in your system.
Have you got t it to work with some other OS?
I get some strange errors when i try that out, but do get back to the desktop. I don't use that any more, you simply don't win enough time to make it worthwhile.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

No problem with Microsoft Windows. I've tried this on so many instals of Linux now and it never works. I figure if the software writers are not going to try to get it working they should remove it.

Rod
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I had similar problems and am angry like hell at suspend/hibernate for not working in linux...

mint actually has this options working on 1 out of 5 comps that I've installed it on....
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi ambertone!
No problem with Microsoft Windows.
Well, it works - sort of.
I used hibernate but stopped using it after a while, you get all sorts of memory problems (Fully patched XP SP2)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

come to think of it, I also had major problems with XP SP2 and X64 with hibernation.....

but I am grateful to higher powers that suspend works on my mint on this comp - and it works great and I use it all the time... I love the 2 second bootup/login process :)))
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Return to “Other topics”