Can I install a package for Ubuntu 8.04 in Mint Felicia?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Can I install a package for Ubuntu 8.04 in Mint Felicia?

Post by gumby »

I want to install SD4L, (Scramdisk for Linux). According to its website, the latest version supports Ubuntu 8.04 and Linux kernels up to 2.6.24.

Can I install this under Mint Felicia Gnome? I know Felicia is based on Ubuntu 8.10, not 8.04.

If it is possible, how should I obtain the program? It's not in Mint's repository, and I didn't see it in Ubuntu's either (I googled "search ubuntu repository" and looked for it on only one site, so I can't be sure that it's not in a different repository -- I am a newbie just starting to learn this stuff) But you can download it from SourceForge.

Before anyone advises me that it's an obsolete program and I should use Truecrypt, let me explain that I need to mount some old Scramdisk containers, at which point I can convert them to TrueCrypt format with a feature in SD4L.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Can I install a package for Ubuntu 8.04 in Mint Felicia?

Post by Fred »

gumby,

Go to the url below and download to your home folder, not the desktop, the version I have shown below.

Open a terminal and type:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then follow any directions given.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=584780

ScramDisk_1.3-2_Ubuntu-8.10_2.6.27_i386.deb

Fred

EDIT: I strongly recommend you decrypt this container/files and start fresh with the latest version of TrueCrypt instead of trying to convert the existing encrypted container to a TrueCrypt container.
Last edited by Fred on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

I see that my original post was incorrect. On the sd4l homepage, http://www.scramdisklinux.org/ it says that it only supports up to Ubuntu 8.04. But I see on the link you gave me, Fred, that they DO have packages for 8.10! So the home page was not updated to show the latest info.

I will follow your instructions and report back.

Thanks again, Fred. What would we all do without you? :? :mrgreen:
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Fred,

I ran that command in terminal and this was the output:

Selecting previously deselected package scramdisk.
(Reading database ... 103280 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking scramdisk (from ScramDisk_1.3-2_Ubuntu-8.10_2.6.27_i386.deb) ...
Setting up scramdisk (1.3-2) ...
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/scramdisk ...
/etc/rcS.d/K04scramdisk -> ../init.d/scramdisk
/etc/rcS.d/S80scramdisk -> ../init.d/scramdisk
Loading Scramdisk encrypted filesystems

Processing triggers for man-db ...

Does this mean it's been installed? Terminal didn't give me any instructions, it just produced the output you see above. I can't find Scramdisk or SD4L in my application menus. How do I run it?
Fred

Post by Fred »

gumby,

This is probably a CLI, (Command Line Interface), program and not a GUI, (Graphical User Interface), program. If this is the case it doesn't run from the menu by default. Open a terminal and type:

sudo scramdisk

and see what that brings up. According to what you posted, it should be running now in the background. It will also start automatically and run in the background when you boot. Since I have never used this program I really can't tell you what to expect. But it appears to have installed correctly. You might want to take a look at the documentation on their website to get better answers.

Fred
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Fred,

No, SD4L is a graphical program, not just command line. When I entered sudo scramdisk, the program's GUI window popped up! But how can I get it to run from an icon in my applications menu like all the other programs?
Fred

Post by Fred »

gumby,

Is it in your menu now that you have rebooted? Sometimes the menu won't register a new program right away without a restart of the menu, which of course happens with a complete system reboot.

Fred
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

No, Fred. Several reboots later, it's still not to be found in my program menus. Not a big deal. It's easy enough to type "sudo scramdisk." (Even if the program is refusing to open my old Windows Scramdisk containers , saying "Could not mount device: input/output error.") :(

But I don't want your help on this one. You've done enough already. I will research this on the net when I have more time.

Return to “Software & Applications”