Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
dlkreations

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Post by dlkreations »

Yeah the panel was unlocked when it crashed. I have tried removing it and putting it back in with the same effect. Unfortunately I had just added it and went for a smoke break, locked my laptop and not 5 minutes later came back to log back in and it was frozen. The rest you know.

I will try double checking to see if I enabled the backports, but I believe I did. I may just go back to the Main edition anyway. Just feels more like home to me. But if you come across something, I will definitely be interested.

Thanks for the reply.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

List of bugs

no “open as root”

The numbers are changed between /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1
That was a bug also in the Mint 4 KDE CE, nothing changed since then.
In Gnome and xfce it’s ok.
Amorak and other music players can’t even see the media in /dev/scd 0 and 1

I can’t see if a cd or dvd is mounted. no sign on the desktop

I can’t mount other partitions, so as my home folder on Mint 6 x64 or my external hard disk.
But it works from my Mint 6 x64 in the other direction.

The screen savers don’t work properly, that is said very mild. There are so much bugs I cannot list all here. Nearly each of them works, let say, very funny.

The most widgets don’t work properly if they are working at least. :roll:
stabby

Post by stabby »

I put Mint 6 KDE on usb stick to boot from it and see how it works. I got mint splash screen and then error box poped up saying about low-graphics mode, and after that it hangs in black screen.
I'm not sure if it's Mints or KDE fault, but I tried the same with Mint main, Mint 64, and Kubuntu, and bunch other distros. They all work no problem, only Mint 6 KDE doesn't load properly.
Anyone had similar problem??
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Live DVD only loaded in compatibility mode

On the hard drive

Partition Editor - Good
Installation - Good

The system mounts and play DVD but does not mount Audio CDs
I can hear Audio CDs running KsCD or Kaffeine (installed)

What is the use of that ScreenSaver 5.0 - menu > apllications > system > screensaver settings

Ó Ya, i am going to tell you fellows. The use? It's only to crash the system
(screensaver and power management) - Thanks God because the Devil took it
away from the system since I went to Kde Control Center and adjusted screensaver
and power management settings.

Some of the Kde widgets make the system to crash. I am afraid of them.

I don't want to look back, so Elyssa 5 was deleted from the hard drive and i hope
the final version will be good like this RC1 (without some annoying bugs).

Congrats Boo

Cheers
Roberto
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

I haven't yet found any bugs, but I just wanted to say that I've managed to install it onto my HP Mini-Note 2133 with success. Great work on the new release!
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

debug wrote:Is there some way to remove Powerdevil and use Guidance as my default and only powermanager, and set the brightness settings through it?
I was afraid to try to remove it, but you can disable it from "System Settings/Advanced/Service Manager" by un-ticking PowerDevil.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

KDE 4.2.1 updates should come via the ubuntu backports repo.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
dolf05

Post by dolf05 »

have you installed the compiz-fusion icon using package manager once installed a icon appears on the taskbar settings can be changed from there, it worked for me.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

SCREEN RESOLUTION PROBLEM

Post by npap »

Congratulations Boo.
Considering that KDE 4 itself is still a bit buggy and the fact that you have inherited some Kununtu KDE 4 problems, this looks like a very good job. :D

Problems
-Mostly screen resolution which reverted back to 800x600 ( old Kubuntu bug I'm afraid ).
Fixed by running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
-Some widgets are sometimes absent on the next reboot ( a KDE4.2 problem )

Question: How can we get the update to KDE4.2.1

Thanks,
npap
Last edited by npap on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bernado

Post by bernado »

Envyng doesn't work : :cry: bernado@laptop ~ $ sudo envyng -k :

File "/usr/share/envyng-qt/envyngqt.py", line 886, in <module>
form = EnvyMainDlg()
File "/usr/share/envyng-qt/envyngqt.py", line 290, in __init__
self.abstract = abstraction.Abstraction(widget=self.pbar, text=None)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Envy/abstraction.py", line 39, in __init__
self.driverDetails = self.hardware.selectDriver()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Envy/detection.py", line 248, in selectDriver
if 173 in candidates['nvidia'] and 177 in candidates['nvidia']:
TypeError: list indices must be integers

Bernado
npap
Level 6
Level 6

HUGE FONTS PROBLEM

Post by npap »

OK! Now that I got the resolution fixed, I have a problem with fonts.

I turned on my PC later in the day and to my surprise and dismay I couldn't even log in because of the extremely large fonts which extend beyond the the screen edges.
This has been a problem that has plagued Ubuntu/Kubuntu for years. :(
Here is a link to this bug in the Ubuntu forums:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 04229.html

Any advice will be appreciated.
Npap

Graphics Card: Intel 845
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@bernado
you can not run a gui with sudo in KDE.
you must use kdesudo (or gtksu).

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
bernado

Post by bernado »

Boo wrote:
@bernado
you can not run a gui with sudo in KDE.
you must use kdesudo (or gtksu).
Doesn't work neither. I even tried the command line version without sucess . First I tried it from the menue, but nothing happened. Can anyone confirm that ?

Bernado
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

I have encountered 3 problems so far using KDE RC1. All the partitions on my hard disk are mounting Ok at startup but I am unable to write to any of them. This turned out to be because my user wasn't in the group "users" or "fuse". Should my user have been in these groups?

RC1 also takes a long time shutting down and then occasionally it will just hang without shutting down the x server and leave the PC powered on & I am still able to see & move the mouse pointer. It does it more often when i am restarting.

The final problem is that I am unable to access the partition with Mint 6 on it from within windows. I have both Mint 5 & Mint 6 on separate partitions & I formatted both with the Ext 3 file system. While I can see & open everything in the partition containing mint 5,using the windows program "Ext2IFS_1_10C", I cannot access the partition containing mint 6. Windows says it is RAW & needs formatting. This is very strange.

Other than this I am slowly starting to like Mint 6 & KDE 4.2.

Sorry I originally reported these bugs in the master kde update thread.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

1. How do you open a file as root? Is that feature gone or is that a bug?
2. I used to be able to right click an iso and select MD5. Is that gone, or a bug?
3. Trouble with the Compiz/KWIN thing. Sometimes, it Compiz is not on at start up even though it is the default. Emerald sometimes off. I can usually get it back, but it is a pain.

PS: Not really a bug, but I play BZFLAG and other 3d games, and need to be able to quickly and temporarily turn of desktop effects, while playing and back on when done, or else it affects game play. What is the easiest way to quickly do this. Also, is there a way to make it so that effects are turned off automatically when I launch a 3d game? That would be cool.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

KMail will not start.

Installed from Adept.

Code: Select all

kmail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN4KPIM8KMeditor16contextMenuEventEP17QContextMenuEvent

This appears to be related to:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=180046
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Neither installed from adept manager or Synaptic, Kmail works.

Error: The Kde init could not launch /urs/bin/kmail

It's a Kde 4.2 bug

See

http://www.kde.org/

Kde 4.2.1 released - bugs fixed

cheers
Roberto
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Rob Brill wrote:Neither installed from adept manager or Synaptic, Kmail works.

Error: The Kde init could not launch /urs/bin/kmail

It's a Kde 4.2 bug
Just more proof 4.x is not ready for prime time. KMail doesn't work, then RC1 is not ready.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

HUGE LOGIN WINDOW AND FONTS

Post by npap »

Hello everybody,
Does anyone have a solution for the huge login fonts? How many people have this problem, I wonder.
One workaround I found for the generally large font problem is to go to the System Settings>appearance>fonts and mark the Force fonts DPI to read 96 DPI..

As for the large login window and fonts, go to System Settings>Advanced>Login manager and on the Convenience tap check the Auto Login option. This is a last resort, I'm afraid. :)

All of these if you manage to get a working desktop of course :)

Cheers,
npap
rec9140

Re: HUGE LOGIN WINDOW AND FONTS

Post by rec9140 »

npap wrote:Hello everybody,
Does anyone have a solution for the huge login fonts? How many people have this problem, I wonder.
One workaround I found for the generally large font problem is to go to the System Settings>appearance>fonts and mark the Force fonts DPI to read 96 DPI..
Nope, I gave up. Something when you change resolutions on video screws this up, and short of starting over I've found nothing to correct.

npap wrote: As for the large login window and fonts, go to System Settings>Advanced>Login manager and on the Convenience tap check the Auto Login option. This is a last resort, I'm afraid. :)
Thats not an option. Thats like leaving the key in the front door... NO WAY.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”