Question about uninstallation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DataMan

Re: Question about uninstallation

Post by DataMan »

I've been away from active Windows use so long that I'm not 100% on this but, since you do have the Windows Install CD, why not just boot to it and install using the whole hard drive? That should take care of over-writing the Linux partition(s) and also write a new MBR (Master Boot Record).

If that doesn't do the trick, you may have to go in a wipe out all of the partitions before re-installing Windows. Post back if you need to go that route.

Good Luck,

DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

DataMan is completely correct. You wanted a tutorial on removing it well here it is:

1) Put Windows disc into cd tray.
2) Reboot computer.
3) Answer a thousand questions, sign away all your consumer rights and agree to Microsoft patented spyware being installed, and after about half an hour the job is done!

Simple enough for you :lol: :lol:
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Sometimes, when the entire drive is formatted with a file system that MS cannot see this happens. You need to get rid of the Linux partition first. The best tool for that is gparted live.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=271779

(iso DL page, you can Google Gparted for more info)

Just DL, burn to a CD (as an iso image!) then run. It is self explanatory, just delete everything and take everything back to free space. You could create an NTFS partition here, but why bother?

Sometimes, for some reason which no one has ever been able to figure out, even this will not work. I have had gurus say that it is impossible but I have seen many cases where even a reformatted drive will still not boot the windows install disc for some reason. The best I can come up with is something in the MBR is stopping it. There is one fail-safe solution to all your problems here:

http://www.dban.org/

Run the least number of passes, it takes forever and you are not concerned with wiping national secrets. This will overwrite the entire drive. Windows will then see the drive and install with no further problems. Overkill? Yeah. But sometimes it is the only thing that works.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I have never heard of that FedoraRefugee, but if that is the case I apologise to strophe if my earlier post sounded a bit flippant, it certainly was meant to be humorous, but nothing more.

Return to “Installation & Boot”