How-To : Simple Samba Home File Server

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
kwisher

How-To : Simple Samba Home File Server

Post by kwisher »

Hello All,

I have put together a how-to on how to use Linux Mint-5 as a simple Samba home file server. Due to file size limits on this forum, I have made the OpenOffice source file, PDF version and a sample Samba config file available for download from my website. Please visit http://www.kwdesign-consulting.com and select the "Feedback & Downloads" link on the left-hand side of the page.
Last edited by kwisher on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How-To Simple Samba Home File Server

Post by altair4 »

I have not spent a lot of time on the content of your howto, which seems quite thorough by the way, but I do have a comment on the presentation. All of the screenshots of gedit and the Samba Configuration utility for example are garbled and unreadable. Maybe it's my resolution or how the pdf was created but I thought you should know.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Have to agree with altair4, your screenshots need to be retaken.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There is one unintended consequence of your new smb.conf. You turned off allowing guest access in usershare ( or simple sharing or nautilus-share or whatever it's called ). It's the section of the original smb.conf that looks like this:
# Setup usershare options to enable non-root users to share folders
# with the net usershare command.

# Maximum number of usershare. 0 (default) means that usershare is disabled.
; usershare max shares = 100

# Allow users who've been granted usershare privileges to create
# public shares, not just authenticated ones
usershare allow guests = yes
Given your requirements of having some with read only access and others not you probably wouldn't want this capability. But if you're in a hurry and really need to share some data between two boxes, there's nothing like right clicking on a folder in nautilus and basically saying "share this now" - especially if you're behind the safety of a router.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't know if Mint5 has usershare capability but Mint6 does.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I used Openoffice Presentation to create the master version. Due to this forums attachment size limit, I had to reduce the quality. I will look at the screen capture images to see if I can reduce the file size.
BladeWS

Post by BladeWS »

nice work! :)

Next time keep in mind about the resolution
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

After many attempts at reducing the file size to 256kb I have given up. I will try to make a text only version for this forum post. In the meantime I will try to post a link to the OO Presentation file on my website tonight. For all who listen to tech podcasts, Russ Wenner will be speaking of this how-to on his next show, The Techie Geek. He will also probably have a link to the full quality PDF.

http://thetechiegeek.com/
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Please see my original post for the link to my website to download this how-to.

Return to “Tutorials”