How about a development blog and/or newsletter?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
misterbeetz

How about a development blog and/or newsletter?

Post by misterbeetz »

I think a blog and/or regular newsletter by the developers documenting goals, plans, and changes regarding the development of Linux Mint would be nice. Such a blog could also be used to report fixes to major bugs if any.

Keeping it strictly related to Linux Mint issues might also be a good way to go. I'd rather not mention any names but some planet/blogs that I see are not on track. For example: Someone posting about their cat "Mittens" is something I'd rather not read about. I think most people would feel the same about this but I could be wrong. I just think people should keep their personal lives in their personal blogs.

- misterbeetz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We post all the information on the forum and give frequent news about fixed bugs, added features, progress and planning. I understand that this info is probably hard to single out among all the other posts.

Is there somebody who wants to take responsibility and create a weekly newsletter that summarizes each week's events?

Clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

as long as it does not have to be too long (I am dyslexic so it slows me down) I would be quite happy to do a weekly news letter type thing.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Alephcat,

Excellent. It's entirely up to you how long you want it to be, and what format you want it to have. The important thing is that it is regular, weekly, and that it gives the user the main news, or links to the main news.

You can start anytime you want :) People might contact you if they want to give a hand.

Clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

my one question is, how do i find out the latest news not being part of the current team?
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

The community is the team. We all contribute to Linux Mint in one way or another by posting in the forum.
Hi,

Just a quick unofficial note on who's doing what at the moment:

- Clement (aka clem) maintains the x86 live distribution, the website and forums
- Michael (aka d00p) moderates the IRC channel and is responsible for the Web server.
- Tony (aka Fragadelic) is having a look at how to make a 64bit version of Linux Mint.
- Jon (aka JonPackard) is having a look at how to fit more stuff in the default Mint distribution

We also had a lot of contributions on artwork. But no project as such was started yet.

We have nobody on the following:
- looking at how to make an Alternate Install CD.
- taking responsibility on a weekly newsletter.

Clem
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Alephcat,

Everything is posted on this forum. I try to give as much progress and info as possible. If you need a piece of info at anytime you can send me a private message through the forum and I will answer it I quick as I can.

Clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

okay thanks for that, I though it would be something obvious like that. I will probably do it on Saturdays/Sundays as that is when I get the most time, I may just do a forum post untill I work out a better way of getting it to everybody, but I will try things and find out what works best.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If you need support or help, don't hesitate to ask people to give you a hand.

Clem
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:If you need support or help, don't hesitate to ask people to give you a hand.

Clem
OK. Here's one of the hypothetical question for you--since I haven't been able to find a way...

IF I were to review the question, comments, suggestion, etc...say starting on a Sunday...would that be possible?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

BTW, if anyone is interest, Minnesota U.S.A. is local time +5 to zulu (Greenich Mean Time), so I'm sure a lot of the community across the pond is already asleep. But I tell you what...Mint has brought a lot of people from all over the world together for this cause...that's the real magic of Mint.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi guys,

I'd say go for it. Talk to each other and organize yourselves the best you can to be able to work together. It'll probably be like Linux Mint, once it's started people will give you feedback and from then it will keep getting better and better.

Clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

yes, it is really good that in a relatively short space of time we have managed to get such a wide community of users.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

antiquexray wrote:
clem wrote:If you need support or help, don't hesitate to ask people to give you a hand.

Clem
OK. Here's one of the hypothetical question for you--since I haven't been able to find a way...

IF I were to review the question, comments, suggestion, etc...say starting on a Sunday...would that be possible?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking here, it is probably just a fault of understanding on my part but could you please clarify
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Alephcat wrote:
antiquexray wrote:

Clem

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here, it is probably just a fault of understanding on my part but could you please clarify
I"d like to search by date.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'm not much of a phpbb expert myself. If I was to do that newsletter though, I would take note as I read the posts and compile them for the end of the week.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

IMHO, the newsletter should include any bugs and fixes as well as development progress and possibly have a "guest" user column with feedback about Mint and Linux in general. This would make both interesting and valuable reading material.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

give me a bit of a chance to get started, I do have to work sometimes, even if it is at a college

Return to “Non-technical Questions”