Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Post by clem »

I think I can speak for the team when I say we’re all really excited about this release. It’s new, it looks fantastic and it’s our first ever KDE4 release. I would like to congratulate Boo for the excellent work he’s done on this edition, and I’m proud to announce the release of Linux Mint [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=655

Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=22787

Clem.
nelson2006

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Post by nelson2006 »

Nuxer wrote:Thanks for the great release. :)

Is it possible to install KDE desktop in Linux Mint 6 Main Edition?

Nuxer, yes it's possible. I installed kde 4.2 on the Mint Main edition and it looks great!
Milutin

Post by Milutin »

I have tested it - partly satisfied
My opinion is that the look of Gnome desktop is much better adopted for mint than KDE

When I instaled Mint 6 KDE RC1 it look same as Kubuntu the only diference is the small icon of Mint while the difference in GNOME between Ubuntu and Mint is huge and I like Mint GNOME!
This is for graphical part!
gstool

Post by gstool »

I have installed it and really like it. I don't know how much of the improvement is due KDE 4.2 or Mint tuning of it, but it works a lot better than my last test of KDE4 a few months ago.

Gerry
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I've just installed this beast. It's pretty damn impressive, and I'm looking forward to the final release.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I had a Linux-mint-6-main running. I just installed KDE using APT . This now gives me two Sessiion choices . But the KDE option come as KDE 4.1 and gives me a K menu that has Gnome sub menus all mixed up with the KDE menus making it very hard to find a specific menu setting.
I am now downloading the dedicated KDE RC1 from University of Crete mirror , and hopefully this will install with an ordered menu list.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@ fixerofthings86
1. mint 6 KDE stable will come out in about a week.

2. there is a mint-meta-kde package but i have not tested it to upgrade mint 5 kde to mint 6 kde or even just to KDE 4.2.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
nelson2006

Post by nelson2006 »

Nuxer wrote:
nelson2006 wrote:Nuxer, yes it's possible. I installed kde 4.2 on the Mint Main edition and it looks great!
What is the procedure?
Nuxer I used this procedure: http://linux4us.org/kde4.2_release.php
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Great...Kubuntu IS where Canonical needs the work...I hope Mint gives an added emphasis to KDE. Love it, keep up the good work!
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Update on my previous post. I installed the new KDE RC1 , and now I don't have the mixture of Gnome and KDE sub menus. But it is rather unstable, some setting like screen definition and font size do nnot hold from boot to boot. I have gone back to using my 6-main with Gnome which is at leat stable. I have been a fan of KDE for years.
deki999

Post by deki999 »

I like KDE and I like Gnome...
I didn't know where to go...
When KDE 4 is released, I tried, I said ok, this is crap, I will go on Gnome side, and I did...
Time goes on and on, I tried KDE 4 few times more, and crap it is.

Now Mint KDE 4 is released, and I tried it !
I am satisfied now, and everything works as it should work.

Team, very good work !
cedric

Post by cedric »

I

I use mink kde 6 RC1 for one week, both on my eeebox 202 and my laptop ibm. Very nice job boo ! I think that I will not go back to Gnome.

One bug that I wanted to report : when I launch Okular with a pdf, when I want to view it in full screen, it crashes, Okular tries to do it and then crashes and closes.

It is the only bad point.

I've replaced the network manager by wicd, a friend of mine advices me about this, and in my opinion wicd is much easier to manage.

Thanks again all of you for this job !
arbocorp

Post by arbocorp »

I installed LM6 KDE RC1. Here are my initial findings:

1. There is no initial graphical partitioner, is this intentional? My only two options were, use entire disc or manual, just these two lines on a huge WHITE BLANK page. On top is this, there was no partitioning app within the live cd session. I would like to have seen some "suggestions." Coming from a windows background I only know C: D: E naming conventions. It would be nice to be guided either through the install or have the option if I wanted to know more. Swap drive? Why? How much much space should I use? What does linux recommend for optimal performance? This is new to me and I bet more so to alot of people without an IT background. My main beef with these linux distributions is they assume the installer knows what they're doing. I can install the os but the terminal is still very new to me and don't get me started with the "root".

2. I could not get the desktop effects to turn on. When I got to a certain point, I was asked to download something for this but when I clicked on the button, nothing happened.

3. I couldn't get the desktop cube to work.

4. When Linux Mint KDE wanted to install the graphical drivers, it crashed at least twice.

On the plus side, I really like how the KDE version looks. I also like how there's transparency within the windows. How do I do that in the GNOME version. I think KDE has a more "polished" look over gnome but gnome just seems to work. I also like the login screen for KDE, though I'm a little confused with the the other icons and what I should choose if I have to choose anything at all?

One last thing and I find this in both versions of KDE or GNOME. When I copy something and right click to paste, whatever was in the clipboard last seems to paste automatically without me hitting the paste option. It's IRRITATING! How do I get that to stop. It happens some of the time.
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

:D
congrats for the linux 6 kde ce rc1 release. It is really superb! It's was a joy. by the way, when the final release will be ready? Do you recommend to install this linux 6 kde ce rc1 ?Is there a road map for it? I'd appreciate your helpful hints. best regards.

8)
deki999

Post by deki999 »

Distrowatch.com was not working for a few days.
During that days our Mint KDE was released.

Now there is no record about it at all !!!
What are those people doing ?!?!
Last edited by deki999 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Has anyone tried the internet dial up software I am going to set up a computer for a friend and dial up will work best for him. Have never used a dial up modem and have no idea if it is a easy or very difficult set up. I have read that dial up can be a nightmare in Linux? Any info greatly appreciated. Also if any other users live here in the Tucson Az. area I would like to meet and share knowledge of Linux and Mint thanks Mike in Tucson
FredG

Post by FredG »

So far I have just tried the live CD. I have an Audigy 2 Platinum which works great in Elyssa. The KDE Live CD shows that the sound card has been detected, the sound drivers installed and I can manipulate the mixer controls --- but no sound. Any ideas?
MSXManiac

Post by MSXManiac »

Hey Guys!

I has Elyssa installed, try the update deb package, but after downloaded a whole new Mint entire DVD megabytes, I rebooted and the installation crashes!

I need to reinstall, but I prefer use KDE 3.5.10 instead, but with the features of Felicia!

And If I install Felicia Gnome Edition and install KDE 3.5.10? How I do this? Anyone helps?

Or maybe a Felicia KDE release with KDE 3.5.10 insted of KDE 4.2! It´s possible? How?
Go2doug

Post by Go2doug »

I just wanted to point out that news of the KDE RC1 release did not make it to DistroWatch:

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=mint
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi all.

This is it! Ive found the distro I want on my desktop. I like how navigable it is, I like the whole KDE look and feel. This is linux perfected. Ive tried dozens of variations on most distros, opensuse was very nice but a pain in the butt to set up. This Mint KDE is head and shoulders above anything else.

Thanks so very much for the work.

Anthony.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”