139 "Recommended software updates available"...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

139 "Recommended software updates available"...

Post by Meteor »

I've tried to apply the 139 software updates that are recommended (by someone) but am unable to past entering a password, presumably for "Root", that I mistakenly chose on a first install. I have reinstalled Felicia XFCE CE without a login or a root password (as recommended), but the 139 updates are still an open padlock on the bottom line ("Task Bar???).

The original root password entry must have had a typo (twice!!) without me realizing it. The reinstall (for other reasons) seems to have kept the password. This leads to four questions:

o How do I correct an unknown password so I can get the update program to work (if it is still necessary to have it)?

o Are the 139 updates necessary?

o If so, can I get them installed without entering a password? How do I do it?

A somewhat confused noobie,
Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: 139 "Recommended software updates available"...

Post by Fred »

Meteor,

The only password you need to know is your user password. Type it in when it is asked for. It won't show on the screen when you type it in. Hit enter and you should get a chance to install the updates.

Fred
viking777

Re: 139 "Recommended software updates available"...

Post by viking777 »

If you have reinstalled Mint your root password will not be remembered, and Fred is right your user password should be all that is needed. If this is not working then I suggest youtry form a terminal. Open terminal and then type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -u upgrade
This will ask for your user password. Enter that and let us know what happens.

In answer to your other questions - are updates necessary - the answer is both yes and no, some are, some aren't. Personally I seek them out like a drug!! Some on the other hand prefer to opt for the cautious approach. The way to achieve this is to open mint update then go click edit/ preferences and set the level of updates that you feel happy with.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 139 "Recommended software updates available"... SOLVED!

Post by Meteor »

Well, that was an interesting way to do it. Who would of thought to use the sign-on password instead of root's (I don't recall entering root's when I reinstalled...)? I received 151 upgrades according to the Terminal screen and I would estimate 95% of them began with the letters "lib". It took about 10 - 12 minutes to do this. The padlock at the bottom of the screen is now closed.

I'm glad that I'm right up-to-date and now look forward to getting acquainted with Mint Xfce CE. Thank to my respondents for their assistance.

Meteor

Return to “Xfce”