New Linux distro "as good as windows"

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

New Linux distro "as good as windows"

Post by nick »

Damn Vulnerable Linux. Damn Vulnerable Linux (DVL) is a Slackware and Slax-based live DVD. The distribution, purposefully stuffed with broken, ill-configured, outdated and exploitable software, began life as a training system used during the author's university lectures. Its primary goal is to design a Linux system that is as vulnerable as possible -- in order to teach and demonstrate a variety of security topics, including reverse code engineering, buffer overflows, shell code development, web exploitation, and SQL injection.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090309#new

Nick :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: New Linux distro "as good as windows"

Post by Fred »

I think I will go download and install it especially for doing banking, financial and medical records. That is, if it really is as good as Windows. :-)

And it isn't even April fools day. :-)

Fred
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Nick's right it is a brilliant distro. When I booted my copy today I found out I had won the Nigerian state lottery :D :D . It is amazing how long it takes for them to release the results, it was 4 years ago since I was last there and even then I don't remember buying the ticket!

Still it is great news isn't it, I have used DVL to send them my bank account details and the prize money should be in my account within the week.

As soon as I get it I would like to organise a massive party for everyone on the Mint forum at my expense!
Fred

Post by Fred »

viking777,

I will happily volunteer to look after the beer distribution for you. :-)

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

viking777, I think I will be hanging out with Fred! :D
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

HA! That's awesome!

I totally know what distro I am going to recommend my friends to install now. Next up, I will see just how much fun I can have with them :D
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Looks like MS has some real competition from Linux now! Will it be vulnerable to viruses, spyware, malware, and security threats............
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phibxr »

nick wrote:Damn Vulnerable Linux. Damn Vulnerable Linux (DVL) is a Slackware and Slax-based live DVD. The distribution, purposefully stuffed with broken, ill-configured, outdated and exploitable software, began life as a training system used during the author's university lectures. Its primary goal is to design a Linux system that is as vulnerable as possible -- in order to teach and demonstrate a variety of security topics, including reverse code engineering, buffer overflows, shell code development, web exploitation, and SQL injection.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090309#new

Nick :wink:
This is exactly what Linux needs to finally take off - people don't want perfection, they want something to complain about at work and an excuse for social interaction with their repair shop when their software and hardware breaks down.

Return to “Chat about Linux”