(Mainly Solved) Custom Menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

(Mainly Solved) Custom Menu

Post by fwc »

Hello,
I am running Felicia and I would like to create a custom menu. I have a task bar on the top of my screen where I would like to put the menu which has the bookmarks and recently opened files in it. If you right click and "add to panel.." there is a list of items and one is Menu Bar which lists "places" but it also lists applications and system menu. Thanks very much and I hope it is easy to extract and manipulate menu info.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Custom Menu

Post by viking777 »

Places is what you need I think. Install it then right click, select properties tick 'bookmarks' and 'recent douments' and untick the rest. Is that what you want?
fwc

Post by fwc »

Yes, that would be good but where do you install it from? Package manager?
garda

Post by garda »

The applet you are talking about should have already been installed by default and is called 'Menu Bar'.
fwc

Post by fwc »

garda wrote:The applet you are talking about should have already been installed by default and is called 'Menu Bar'.
Yes, but I don't want all the menus provided
viking777

Post by viking777 »

fwc wrote:
garda wrote:The applet you are talking about should have already been installed by default and is called 'Menu Bar'.
The confusion may be due to the fact that I use Xfce. On that the places plugin is shown automatically when you right click the panel bar and select Add new item, it doesn't have to be dwonloaded from anywhere, it is already there you just have to add it (if it isn't on your panel by default). You can then, to a certain extent anyway, configure what appears in Places simply by adding or removing ticks in its properties panel - you can choose between 4 items, 2 of which are what you want. Maybe it is different in Gnome.
fwc

Post by fwc »

viking777 wrote:
fwc wrote:
The confusion may be due to the fact that I use Xfce. On that the places plugin is shown automatically when you right click the panel bar and select Add new item, it doesn't have to be dwonloaded from anywhere, it is already there you just have to add it (if it isn't on your panel by default). You can then, to a certain extent anyway, configure what appears in Places simply by adding or removing ticks in its properties panel - you can choose between 4 items, 2 of which are what you want. Maybe it is different in Gnome.
Yes it is, you don't get to choose which items appear from the "Places" menu. But actually I don't want the applications and system menus to appear at all which is also unavailable via the properties menu.
garda

Post by garda »

First, I would like to apologize for giving you pointless answer above. I should have read your original post more carefully. From what I understand, however, you cannot hide the 'Applications' and 'System' menu from Gnome's Menu Bar applet without having to play with the source code and recompile Gnome. So there is practically nothing you can do about it.
fwc

Post by fwc »

Thank you. That was the conclusion I was coming to myself, but I think I found a suitable substitute.
garda

Post by garda »

but I think I found a suitable substitute
Do you mind telling us what that substitute is? I am curious.
fwc

Post by fwc »

sure, if you open the package manager and go to the "GNOME desktop environment (universe)" and type in menu the first option should be a download called GNOME start menu applet. This provides similar options but is much smaller on the task bar. Hope this helps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”