How Much Ubuntu-Based?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: How Much Ubuntu-Based?

Post by Fred »

TimmyMac,

With the information you gave, it would be impossible to answer that question with any degree of accuracy at all.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

and have you tried the live cd to see if it is compatible with your hardware? I'd start there.
Fred

Post by Fred »

TimmyMac,

With the new info you gave I would say you have about a 30% chance of it working in Mint if it doesn't in Ubuntu. But I would be quick to add that is a pie-in-the-sky guestimate on my part. :-)

Mint does do a little better picking up equipment it seems. Have you looked around for a sane work-a-round?

Fred
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I think the problem is with xorg. (I could be wrong)
Mint 6 uses the same xorg as Ubuntu 8.10, so it will probably have the same problem.

Why can't you continue to use 8.04 until the problem is fixed?
It's a LTS release.

I think Ubuntu 9.04 comes out in April, you can try the Alpha now
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

TimmyMac, have you tried openSUSE, Mandriva, or Debian yet? I have gotten those distros to load on just about anything. If the Ubuntu-based and Fedora-based distros are not working to your needs, I would shop around. There is plenty from which to choose. Have fun.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

TimmyMac wrote: It could very well be a KDE 4 problem (since 8.04 used KDE 3)
Oh I didn't realize you were using Kubuntu.
Yeah, it could be a KDE4 problem.

One thing you can try if you haven't already is disabling desktop effects.
Just go to "System Settings > Desktop" and uncheck "Enable desktop effects"

Linux Mint 6 uses Gnome (Well at least the main edition does) so it might work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”