Tracker not finding anything

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Tracker not finding anything

Post by ajgreeny »

I am running mint6 fully updated and with tracker set to index my home folder, but it finds absolutely nothing. Trackerd is running and I have reindexed several times to see if I can get it to work. My thought is that the data files in my home folder are just soft linked to the actual folders in home for ubuntu 8.04.2, so I wonder if this is the reason for the lack of files found, when I know they exist, and are found as I expect when I boot to ubuntu, instead of mint. Anyone got any clues about how to deal with this; do I just add those mounted ubuntu home folders to the tracker index list?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Tracker not finding anything

Post by Husse »

Hardly softlinked
I don't quite understand how you have it arranged
Do you share home with Ubuntu?
Same user name? (Something you should not do!)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Husse wrote:Hardly softlinked
I don't quite understand how you have it arranged
Do you share home with Ubuntu?
Same user name? (Something you should not do!)
It is not quite the same home entirely, as I have separate homes for each install, but just have the documents, music, video, etc etc folders linked from Mint home back to ubuntu home (perhaps that is not a softlink?), so that my data files, not configs are the same. I am fully aware of the problem of using the same home for more than one distro, hence my linking of data files and keeping configurations separate.

Anyway, it seems I answered my own question by adding the extra mounted folders' full address to the tracker "added folders" box in its configuration, and now it seems to find things. It does not, however, appear to search for content within OOo odt or ods files, which I thought it should. Have I got that wrong?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You could (probably) have the same home partition for any distros - but never the same user name - and then the idea of a separate home partition is kind of pointless
In fact I use the same method as you - a separate data partition, however no links and I have turned of tracker - I've never thought it is a good search tool
If you are to follow softlinks that should be configured one way or the other and you fixed it
I find that tracker lost the possibility to index OO documents with version 0.6.6-1 but version 0.6.6-2 has regained it
I can't find a package for it but it is to be the version in Jaunty and I suspect you can find a .deb over at Debian

Return to “Software & Applications”