"Easy mode" with mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Suizido
Level 1
Level 1

"Easy mode" with mint

Post by Suizido »

Hi all!

Although I am using Mint for several months now there are a lot of things I dont know.

I am interested in having an easy mode like there is with Xandros or Linpus (even nicer there than with Xandros). What is the soft that I have to install to have such a nice desktop menu?

Thx for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: "Easy mode" with mint

Post by viking777 »

Could we look at it another way Suizido. What part of the Mint Menu is it that you find difficult? I used Xandros a few years ago and I will admit it was vastly superior at Windows networking than anything else I have ever seen, either before or since, but in every other respect it was terrible. I have never used (or even heard of) Linpus, but can you be more specific about what is so much better in that distro. It means nothing to me because I am happy with what I have, but I am sure that the Mint developers, who bend over backwards to make Mint easy to use - some might say too far, would be glad to read your opinion. ( I don't know that any of them actually read the forum that much but you never know, your voice might make a difference).
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't want to seem tooooo sarcastic but I looked at a screenshot of the Linpus Desktop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linpus

If this is the future of the Linux desktop, I'm going back to Windows NT 3.51
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Suizido
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Suizido »

I feared that people might react like you did.

For me its totally clear: if you want to use the whole desktop then you need sort of a menu for it. Now I only have four or five icons. I cannot imagine why you prefer the startmenu. I think it is by far not as userfriendly as the menu with linpus (btw: there it is only one klick to return to the normal mode).

Another example for this kind of navigation is my handheld gp2x which has gmenu on it:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cfiles/screenshots/gmenu2x.png

Use Win 3.1 if you like to but I think usability has a bright future. So I still want to know if there is a software that I can download that I can have such a nice menu on my desktop.

Greetz to wherever you are
Suizido
Fred

Post by Fred »

Suizido,

I have a suggestion for you. Take the icons that you wish to use and blow them up, or pick something that you might prefer in their place, and use them instead of the defaults. This should fill the desktop space, if that is your preference.

Fred
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Fred is right suizido, you can make your Mint desktop look like that yourself if you want to, add as many icons as you like, I am sure there is a way to increase the size of them if you want that as well. If that is what you want to do but you don't know how to achieve it then post again, I am sure someone will be able to help you, there is no special software required to do this.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Oh good work infamous, I didn't know there was such a thing for Mint.

BTW Suizido, if you want something simple (but very easy and functional) have a look at Gnome-do. I use this and it is really excellent and might suit you even more than a deskful of icons.

http://do.davebsd.com/preview.shtml
garda

Post by garda »

What I like the most from the UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) repository is actually its 'Window Picker' applet, which makes using single panel a snap compared to that boring 'Window List".

The launcher, though, is horribly sluggish and does not let me change the title that always says "Ubuntu". Or am I missing something?
garda

Post by garda »

I want to use the launcher on a shared computer that sits in our living room here. It is used by lots of people from various age groups and backgrounds and most of them are so very Windows-centric. I just want to make the user interface as simple and neutral as on most mobile phones. Thus, the UNR launcher seems to fit the bill.

Having downgraded the restricted nVidia drivers, though, it runs much snappier now. I wonder why nVidia still cannot make their driver work well on Linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”