Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

ahem... what program are you trying to run and where is it located?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint, Azbests!
I don't use wine but as I understand it you type something like "wine /path/to/windows/program.exe" in a terminal.
PS Like me you seem not to be a native english speaker...
you write not wright :)
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Have you run winecfg in terminal first?
Then right click on windows program and select "open with wine"
NIck
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes you do something wrong - and yet not :)
If your Windows had been localized the way my Windows is you'd know that the space in "Program Files" is a problem.
Look at this post and your problem is hopefully gone:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1948
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I serve Wine to Bianca so that she'll run my favorite newsgroup reader from MS Windows.

Just remember that whenever there is a blank space in your directory path, you must enclose the entire path in quotes (not including the wine command).

wine "/home/azbests/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/RevConnect.exe"

For programs that you run often, you can save yourself some typing by putting the Wine command into a shell script (a batch file), as described in my earlier post.

------
Last edited by telic on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Never thought the space i "Program Files" would be a problem in Linux :) :)
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Never thought the space i "Program Files" would be a problem in Linux
You're thinking about how a blank space is valid in directory names for Linux (and MS Windows). In that scenario, the spaces are already embedded, i.e. they're part of the data.

That's different than a program's command-line input, which is a random string of text that must be parsed. A command line can include more than one parameter, separated by spaces. In this context, spaces are interpreted as data delimiters, not as the data per se. For the blank spaces to be seen as data, they must be enclosed by quotes or "escaped" in a way that flags them as being part of the input that should be passed to the application program.

------
Last edited by telic on Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You are correct in your description, but I did not think of that - just that an "old pain in the ass" in at least the swedish Windows would be a "pain in the ass" in Linux, well not quite :) (regardless of why)
What is it they say - "old friends die hard"
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

it is installed and fully working but i can't open any program..
Another option is to use the winefile program to navigate your Wine directories with a GUI, then just double-click whatever (*.exe) Windows program file that you want to run.

The winefile navigator is buggy, but it effectively eliminates the DOS-prompt mode, especially if you put winefile in a Mint menu program launcher.

------

Return to “Software & Applications”