[Solved]No Sound (except login screen)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerichoKru

[Solved]No Sound (except login screen)

Post by JerichoKru »

I restarted the PC after some updates that told me to restart it, after it rebooted I had no sound. However, the login screen "music" plays.

Below is the output of lspci:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation Device 075e (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SMBus (rev a1)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Co-Processor (rev a2)
00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] IDE (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Realtek ALC1200 8-Channel High Definition Audio Codec (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation Device 0ad0 (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Device 077a (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h HyperTransport Configuration (rev 40)
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Link Control
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0845 (rev a2)
07:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
I also have all of my volume bars all the way up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: No Sound (except login screen)

Post by Husse »

I need to know which Mint exactly you have
If it is Felicia it's both good and bad
I need to know which motherboard - I guess it's ASUS P5QL-EM or similar
Try

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base 
At the end of the file add

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1
If it says
High Definition Audio
it's Intel
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

Husse wrote:I need to know which Mint exactly you have
If it is Felicia it's both good and bad
I need to know which motherboard - I guess it's ASUS P5QL-EM or similar
Try

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base 
At the end of the file add

If it says
High Definition Audio
it's Intel
Mint 6 Gnome

Motherboard-wise, I don't know, It's a Compaq notebook (CQ50 series)

Are you sure I should add it as "intel"? It shows as "HDA NVidia" in sound preferences.

EDIT: added the line, had no effect after a restart
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have to think a bit more about it
Are you sure I should add it as "intel"? It shows as "HDA NVidia" in sound preferences.
Yes as I wrote any HDA is Intel - even if it says nvidia - it's just a rebranded Intel sound the same as used in ICH8 (or 7?) and newer
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

Husse wrote:Have to think a bit more about it
Yes as I wrote any HDA is Intel - even if it says nvidia - it's just a rebranded Intel sound the same as used in ICH8 (or 7?) and newer
Is it possible that some of the Alsa packages became corrupt?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I see I've missed the obvious - check all settings for sound - don't forget to double click the volume applet next to the clock and explore the settings, they may have been changed by the update
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

Husse wrote:I see I've missed the obvious - check all settings for sound - don't forget to double click the volume applet next to the clock and explore the settings, they may have been changed by the update
I found nothing wrong with the sound settings...

The only thing I did differently in this install that I completely bypassed thee repo's nvidia drivers, because I had problems with the 173, 177, 180beta. I installed the most recent from the nvidia site, which cleared up the video/flash playback problems.

Could this be the problem?
Husse

Post by Husse »

The nvidia drivers could be a problem if you have a sound card on your graphics card which is often the case now so that HDMI can be delivered
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

Husse wrote:The nvidia drivers could be a problem if you have a sound card on your graphics card which is often the case now so that HDMI can be delivered
That may be the case, since the "Geforce 8200M G" is an integrated card on a notebook, it could also be handling the sound, hence "HDA NVidia" as the sound device.

What do I do from here?

Edit: This may help

Using

alsamixer
in the terminal shows no volume bars... (see attached image)
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

My sound appears to be magically working now...

Or it may be these additions to the

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

options snd-hda-intel index=-2
Funny thing was, you asked me to add the second line in your first post...and it wasn't there when I added it earlier... :?

Return to “Hardware Support”