Task Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
big_dog1968

Task Manager

Post by big_dog1968 »

Currently the Task Manager is the default blue. I have chosen wombat black as a theme. How do I change the task manager to match. Is there a way to get Emerald to control the color of the task manager, or must that be set separately? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Task Manager

Post by Boo »

Yes I think the task bar is seperate but I have not played enough with compiz.
the KDE desktop effects make the task bar transparent so it really becomes the colour of the wallpaper.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Boo wrote:Yes I think the task bar is seperate but I have not played enough with compiz.
the KDE desktop effects make the task bar transparent so it really becomes the colour of the wallpaper.

Boo
Unfortunately, Compiz did not make the taskbar transparent. It is still blue. I checked setting on the task bar, but there was not option for colors that I saw.
Where would I set it manually?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I dont know if compiz can make the task bar transparent.
compiz does desktop effects or KDE (kwin can do desktop effects but not both at the same time.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

WildSioux wrote:Are you talking about the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen with all of the icons, Mint button, etc????

To change that its easy...Right click on the desktop>>Desktop Theme>>"New Theme">>Type in "Glassified>>Click on Install>>Close>>Select "Glassified" in the Theme>>Click on Apply>>Then Ok

Your taskbar should change to transparent. No, you don't need compiz installed either to make this work. There are some other settings to change. But I'm going to bed for now. Will get back tomorrow in the morning.

>>The reason why I said choose "Glassified" is because it is the best looking theme. If you don't have those extra settings then it will just show up gray. No problem, I will get back with those...
I like "wobbly windows", which, when you resize a window, makes it wobble. In KDE's compistor, it only moves at all if you are dragging a window around the screen. Re-sizing does not make it wobble. I checked the settings for the feature and it does not have an option to make them wobble when you resize. Compiz does this by default. I am not sure if there is another setting that would do the same thing as Compiz in KDE, but wobbly windows (in KDE) does not. Compiz does not seem to work as well with KDE as it does Gnome, since it has not control over the task bar. This is a problem when viewing youtube videos full screen. If KDE is managing effects, it handles full screen video perfectly, but Compiz leaves the taskbar exposed.

Maybe there is a program that is available in the Kubuntu repo that would make Compiz integrate with KDE more fully?
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

WildSioux wrote:@ big_dog1968:

Did you get your task bar transparent?

As far as Compiz leaving the taskbar exposed. Compiz has nothing to do with taking control of the taskbar. The default setting for KDE is "Always Visible," meaning it covers windows. I don't know why youtube fullscreen shows the taskbar. It doesn't do that in mine. Hmm??

Try this...Click on the right side of the taskbar where the "Cashew" is >>> "More Settings" >>> and choose "Windows Can Cover"

Even with Compiz, you can change your Desktop settings (as I described above) to have the taskbar transparent.
When KDE is decorating and doing the effects, Youtube videos cover the taskbar as expected. It is when Compiz/Emerald are running the show that things change, even though I have not touched the settings. That is what is weird.

As far as the taskbar transparent, glassified did not do the trick. It left the taskbar as sort of a gradient. It goes from Black at the bottom to light grey, almost white. I am going to play with it a little bit to see what I have going on, and if I can get it to look as I wish. I appreciate your help, and will keep on this thread if I continue to have taskbar issues.

Return to “Software & Applications”