Display Goes Black With Fullscreen... solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Display Goes Black With Fullscreen... solved

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

After I installed all the needed codecs to play videos everything seemed to work well until I double clicked on the Totem Movie Player to enter fullscreen and it just went blank. I could still hear the audio going on, but I found myself staring into a dark abyss that was my DVD. If I remember right this also happened when I played a movie on VLC too (I'll double check). So, what's going on with my screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Display Goes Black With Fullscreen...

Post by Husse »

After I installed all the needed codecs to play videos
Pardon me - which codecs?
It's all in Mint by default to my knowledge
Please do check all settings - more than once there is a simple setting that is wrong
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

I installed the Light Edition and it didn't come with proprietary codecs out of the box. It kinda surprised me (a Linux newbie) when I popped in my DVD and it wouldn't play, until i found out about codecs and the synaptic package manager and what not....
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - tend to forget we have a light and useless version :)
I'll come back to you shortly - right now this does not ring a bell
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

I have no problems when I just use the Elisa Media Center, even though I think it's pretty slow on my computer. I pretty much put that issue in the back burner for now but I still would like for someone to help me understand what's going on. So in a nutshell: my full-screen makes a blank screen.
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

I found out that if I installed the regular Main Edition instead of the Light Edition it would do the trick. I also found out that I didn't like the Light Edition too much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”