A solution for sound in Intel ICH

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

A solution for sound in Intel ICH

Post by Husse »

There is a general solution for sound and ICH8
Edit
This should work for ICH7 to at least ICH10
Edit the "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base" file
Note before Gloria the file is /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base without a conf

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 
add at the very end

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto
Replace auto with the brand of your computer - acer, asus, dell, toshiba and others. Macbook pro has mbpx where x is the "generation" of Macbook Pro
Use minor letters. Lots of brands can be used, but if you have an unusual brand you may have to stay with auto
If you have another sound card and don't want the IHC sound to be the default set index=-2

In case of slightly distorted, weird, crackled sound on Apple Macs and perhaps other computers too try this

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
Add two following lines to the end of file before "exit 0":

rmmod snd_hda_intel
modprobe snd_hda_intel
This unloads and reloads the Intel sound module

NOTE: For all solutions here to work you must reboot.

This does not work for Elyssa and later, but helps in Daryna and earlier
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic

And there's the Ubuntu Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
Note that it starts in 2006 so the first solutions are outdated
Old Marcus

Re: A solution for sound in Intel ICH

Post by Old Marcus »

Thanks for this guide, the rc.local solution appears to have worked.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Old Marcus
Nice - I seem to remember you had a sound problem I did not solve :)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Yep, but I found this and things have been solved by the looks of things. :)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Ah, doesn't seem to have stopped it, but I appear to only get the juttering on the startup sound.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Old Marcus wrote:Ah, doesn't seem to have stopped it, but I appear to only get the juttering on the startup sound.
I hope you can live with that....
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

It seems that sound is still screwed across the board. I tried playing music and it 'echoed'. This seems to be a Linux incompatibility problem, so unless there are any other solutions, I'll have to live with it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Turn off pulse Audio
Intel HDA can't handle pulse audio
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I use ALSA.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Old Marcus wrote:I use ALSA.
I know you do - I suggested turning off pulse to avoid it disturbing ALSA - but I have no knowledge if it does or not, but as you don't use it :)
Anyway try to add this to the alsa-base file

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1
It seems to help in some cases, mostly nvidia I think
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

That one just cuts sound out completely as well. Gah, is this laptop just plain incompatible with Linux sound drivers?
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Old Marcus
I'll continue this in the original topic about your sound
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22247
But to be honest I have not found anything........
Husse

Post by Husse »

The solution - in what way?
rufus0101

Post by rufus0101 »

Sorry, but must say this sucks. Were running Ubuntu 9.10 and previous Mint and the sound worked fine. It seem's you always has to compromise with Linux. I was getting used to Standby mode and sleep mode not working but now it's the sound that's missing too. Too bad, Linux Mint seems so good.
rwhite5279

Post by rwhite5279 »

Sooooo happy with Linux Mint. Loved the easy install onto the Dell Mini 10v. REALLY frustrated by inability to get internal microphone working on that machine. I've spent over 10 hours over the course of the last few days trying to get the best distro working on a very popular machine, and find it difficult to believe that it's this hard getting it to work. I know, I know: "Welcome to Linux..." :)

Everything sound-related seems to work as it should, with the exception of the internal microphone, which only faintly, if at all, picks up sound. Recording anything with Sound Recorder only picks up static (which varies with how high I push the gain on the Front Mic). So the question is simply, how do I get the microphone to pick up usable sound?

I'm a bit of a newb here, so I hope this is most of what's needed to help me diagnose this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Running Linux Mint 7, updated, on a Dell Inspiron Mini 10v
Sound is working fine, an external mike works fine, internal microphone produces static when not muted.
Output from Terminal:

rwhite@Nautilus ~ $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272 Analog [ALC272 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
rwhite@Nautilus ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
lspci -vvnn produced

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02f4]
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
	Region 0: Memory at f0440000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
Have already modified /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf by adding
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=dell

Alsamixer looks like this:
dandate2

Post by dandate2 »

i got sound working kind of, it is not true stereo the left speaker is mute and right is alright. any ideas?
Husse

Post by Husse »

This topic was never meant to be a support topic, but a topic to inform of a solution
With ever more questions added this becomes rather confusing
All that have posted support questions please make a new topic
Topic locked

Return to “Hardware Support”