Accessing file of other OS installed in same system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Accessing file of other OS installed in same system

Post by altair4 »

When you say "installed" did you use mint4win?

I've never used mint4win so I can't answer your question but if you did a "real install" then I suggest you look at this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

Wait, you said you installed Ubuntu via Windows XP?? The only way possible is if you used Mint4win.

Anyway, since you seem to have denied using Mint4Win, Ill just assume that you have Ubuntu on a seperate partition. First, open up gparted, and find the partition's name. It'll be /dev/sda* or something similar.

Now open up a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda* /whereyouwanttomountitto
Make sure the directory you mount it to exists!

I have no clue about how Mint4win works, but I heard it just creates a few files on the NTFS partition, if it perhaps has an image file for storing the Hard Disk, we might be able to mount it using a loop command, but I have no real experienced with using any of the wubi variants.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

if i read this correctly you have installed ubuntu using wubi (windows ubuntu installer) and mint conventionally and you want to be able to boot ubuntu from the mint grub menu which i don't know if it can be done without editing menu.lst.
please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst from your mint install
and its equivalent in ubuntu.i think its at the root of your c drive
or in c\mint.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It looks to me that you:
Installed Ubuntu using wubi ( or whatever ubuntu calls mint4win )
Installed Mint in a real partition and is now controlling booting.

In a way you already have access to the Ubuntu files from Mint. It's probably located in a file somewhere in the WinXP partition and looks something like this: c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk. You should be able to verify this.

The problem is that its going to be gibberish ( I'm guessing ) since Ubuntu using wubi required that an application be installed on XP to take that file and make it look like a real OS. I don't think you can access any "real" files from that Ubuntu install from Mint.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

slightly off topic but i found this quite enlightening http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2009/03/1 ... bi-ubuntu/
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

As far as I can tell, it is impossible to "upgrade" your install from a Wubi install to a full install. You should copy any important files and just reinstall Ubuntu.

Though, if I may ask, what do you need Ubuntu for? Mint is basically a polished up/fixed up version of Ubuntu, so I'm a bit confused as to why you want to keep both OS's.

Return to “Beginner Questions”