Any Linux Distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Any Linux Distro

Post by cato40 »

Here is my question.
If someone asks me why we do not have to de-frag the hard drive in Linux; Could I say the following>
Windows does not necessarily return the "bits and pieces " to where they belong ,while Linux does "tidy-up"
its returned "bits-n-pieces ". Because ,it does not matter, how many times you reboot a Distro it seems to start up as speedily
as when the Distro was installed,but as you use MSWin, it tends to slowly get slower and slower.I have a friend that ,every time I use her Dell laptop ,i have to defrag,and clean the disk. The Irony of it is that her Son-in-law is an IT person,also her grandson is working in an IT job. I have tried to suggest to them Mint., but they do not want to dabble in Open Source or Linux.
The poor Schmoes.
kato4059 :D [quote]Superior skill and knowledge wins over fear and Superstition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Any Linux Distro

Post by Husse »

The poor Schmoes.
Indeed
I'll move this to the chat section
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have no idea if this is true but this is the way it was taught to me:

When windows uses a file it tries to return it to the fastest part of the disk because it assumes that it is a frequently used file and putting it on the "fast end" of the disk will bring it up again faster. Linux/Unix always saves files in a contiguous space so that when you bring it up again it doesn't have to search around for all the parts. In theory, the Windows way should be faster since the unix way has files ( although contiguous ) spread all over the disk. But like most things Windows didn't think this trough. Not all files can be first and fragmentation is inevitable.

Like I said I don't know if it's true but it does sound good :D
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Not quite like that I think but something like it :)
Don't have the time now to look it up so I don't write jibberish
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index. ... ragmenting

I found this explanation to be interesting.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Thanks once again for such a lucis and clear explanation of why Windows needs "Defrag" and Linux doesn't.
cato40 :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”