Upgrading K9Copy

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrading K9Copy

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, by default Mint installs version 1.0.beta and it has a problem where it simply won't open.

I've manually downloaded 1.1.3 which works fine.

How do I replace the installed version with the version sitting on my desktop?

Cheers

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unless I miss something that should be simple. Open Synaptics and uninstall the installed one and after that install the downloaded one. If it is a .deb package just double click it and it will install and also end up in synaptics.
As you find the beta in Synaptics you will most likely have/find a .deb package.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

No it's not a *.deb, it's just a folder with the programmes files in it. If you click the k9copy icon in the folder the programme runs, it's just that the folder is sitting on the desktop and I don't know what to do with it?

There is a "readme" called install in the folder but it may as well be in Greek, full of command lines, arguements, compile and "make this" that and the other.

Rod
Husse

Post by Husse »

Check the homepage for a .deb package.
It seems you've got to "make install", something I could do only if I could hold someones hand, uncle Google will do :)
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Yes there is a list of *.deb repositories in a link from the home page for k9copy. I've tried addign about 10 of them to the 3rd party rep list but most either don't exist or their public key comes up as invalid.

Rod
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is no downloadable .deb package?
I suspect you've downloaded a tarball (.tar mostly .tar.gz)
There is an instruction on how to proceed in this page:
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html
but then we're into what makes people dislike Linux :)
Installing a .deb is a piece of cake, that is more like fabricating the oven first before you bake the cake.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Yup, this is what I despise about Linux. That stuff makes absolutlely no sense to me.

I can't find a *.deb file as all the repositories come up invalid. Guess I'll just have to wait until Unbuntu update the file through synaptic.

Thanks anyway.

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

OK, this is what I get when I ad any of the deb repository mirrors from the k9copy site:

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.linux.kiev.ua stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907

This is the web page: http://www.debian-multimedia.org/mirrors.html

I'm adding the ftp address into "Software sources" > 3rd party

Any ideas?

Rod
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry for the delay - but we have to work to get the money to spend on computers - don't we?
There should be an instruction on how to get the key(s) of that site into the key ring (GPG)
If you follow that the error should go away.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Sorry for the delay - but we have to work to get the money to spend on computers - don't we?

Sorry but I'm missing something, I do not understand your statement. As for money I donate to mint several times and continue to do so.

As for the error message there is no link to follow, try for yourself.

Rod
Husse

Post by Husse »

I am truly sorry for typing something you completely misunderstand.
That was just a joke about how we all have to earn our living - and some of us (probably us here) spend some of our money on computers....
You should find instructions on the home page of K9copy for the key issue - but not.
Here's a link:
http://flavor8.com/index.php/2006/04/08 ... ubuntu-ii/
If you change the repos mentioned in the link to those that you have and want to work hopefully you should be in the clear.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi there, the first option came up with "no such command" the second did not work either, this is the output:

E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/apt/.sources.list.swp"
owned by: root dated: Wed Apr 11 22:33:14 2007
file name: /etc/apt/sources.list
modified: YES
user name: root host name: Rods-Desktop
process ID: 15338
While opening file "/etc/apt/sources.list"
dated: Mon Apr 9 21:59:47 2007

(1) Another program may be editing the same file.
If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
different instances of the same file when making changes.
Quit, or continue with caution.

(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/apt/sources.list"
to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/apt/.sources.list.swp"
to avoid this message.
"/etc/apt/sources.list" 34 lines, 1584 characters
Press ENTER or type command to continue

Nothing else is using terminal and I even tried rebooting and running it from a clean boo9t.

Thanks anyway.

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

OK, update. I hit enter after the last screen and get the list. Here's the problem. You CANNOT paste the entry (from you link) in to the list. When I try the cursor just jumps to a different spot and does not paste the text.

Another bug?

Rod
P.S. as much as I like playing with Linux this is a great example of why Linux is not more popular, think about it, this should be so simple but it is not.

All I am trying to do is download and install a programme, something so easy on Windows and Mac, impossible on Linux.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have to sudo the editor to do that (file permissions). A bit irritating perhaps, but also one of the reasons why Linux is safe.
P.S. as much as I like playing with Linux this is a great example of why Linux is not more popular, think about it, this should be so simple but it is not.

All I am trying to do is download and install a programme, something so easy on Windows and Mac, impossible on Linux.
Yes, sort of :) If the program is in the repos, it's MUCH simpler than in Windows, but when it isn't and you don't find a package for your distro (deb for Debian based RPM for Red hat....) it is not easy :(
If k9copy had a .deb package all you would have to do is double click..
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Sorry for the vent, a few glasses of wine............. I'll keep at it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Take a look at this thread in the forum:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4172#14172
If you've downloaded a rpm or tgz you could use that method. I've seen it before but marked as beta so my mind sorted it into the do_not_use section of the brain.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Hi there, thanks for that. Where do I find "Alien" as it does not appear when doing a search in Synaptic?

Cheers

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

Sorry, found it. Will give it a go :-)
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

OK, I know when I'm beaten, I've tried everything suggested and nothing works.

Hopefully the author will update the version in Ubuntu rep as this seems to be the only way possible to do this.

Rod

Return to “Other topics”