Mac "Awaiting Authentication" to print

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JamesFox

Mac "Awaiting Authentication" to print

Post by JamesFox »

Hello all,

Here's something you won't hear everyday... I'm moving to Linux because I can't afford a Mac! Please allow me a quick explanation :wink: : I've been using Windows XP for the last 7 years and have truly never had a single issue. Nevertheless, I'm admittedly jealous of the security and stability inherent in the Unix design (ya know, the kind that's inherently lacking in Windows.) We recently purchased an iMac for the wife and we both have been uber impressed. Given the state of the economy however, I'm not able to run out and get a second machine for myself. So with somewhat high hopes yet realistic expectations, for fun I thought I'd give a Linux distro a try. And based on it's reputation for ease of use, I started out with Mint! Okay, with that out of the way... ("Is there a question coming someday?" you're asking yourselves.)

I've been using Mint for little over two weeks and I won't hesitate to say I enjoy it immensely! I used Wubi to install on it on my Windows machine. Here's the one issue I can't seem to figure out though, and one that's frankly surprised me: the wife's Mac can see my HP Printer connected to my machine, but when she tries to print anything we get a "Awaiting Authentication" error. The reason I say this surprises me is the last thing I expected was the two Unix systems to have issues communicating (though I have no doubt the problem is user related :oops: ). I am able to share files with the Mac, no problem there. In my printer settings I've ticked the HP to be shared, and under the server settings I've ticked all the applicable share boxes as well. However, I'm totally stumped when it comes to how to "authenticate" the print job from the Mac. :(

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my long-windedness! I did Google the snot out of this but to no avail. If I'm unable to fix this, then it's back to Windows since the wife simply can't go w/o the ability to print... and I really don't wanna go back! :( Thanks all!

James, who is very quick to reply with any additional info needed!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JamesFox

Re: Mac "Awaiting Authentication" to print

Post by JamesFox »

Hi again... I found this how-to and I wondered if someone could tell me if this would be a bad idea to try to fix my issue? This is in reference to two Mac computers being setup for print sharing, but I wondered if maybe it would work in my situation even though Mint is on is a PC. I thought it might work since they're both using CUPS, but being a total noob I wouldn't want to assume anything and then put my machines in a world of hurt. I'll wait a while to try it in case someone might have some advice (like, "ACK, DON'T DO THAT! :))

Thanks!
James

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#Shar ... h%20OS%20X

"Sharing a printer with OS X

OS X can print directly to a Linux cups printer. There is no need to mess with samba or create users. To share your Linux cups printer with other OS X machines, simply replace your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf with the cupsd.conf file below, then restart cups (sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart).

Note: This is not PowerPC Linux specific and will work for any Ubuntu computer.

# /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
# Simple CUPS configuration file for a print server
# which serves printers within a private local area network.
# - There is no need for additional security within the print server, ie only authorized
# people can access the machine.

# This setup also allows access to the CUPS "Administrative tasks" system
# via your web browser to http://localhost:631
# File based on Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) (Linux version 2.6.12-10-386)
# Server Directives are explained in http://localhost:631/sam.html

# 25/04/2006
# DavidTangye@netscape.net

ConfigFilePerm 0600
LogLevel info
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap
RunAsUser Yes
Port 631
Include cupsd-browsing.conf
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseAddress 10.0.0.0/8
BrowseAddress 172.16.0.0/12