How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Post by Udi »

Extract the tar.gz file anywhere you want and make a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin to the firefox binary. That way it will take precedence over anything in /usr/bin and it will be used by default instead of version 3. I think this way is better because if you try to remove version 3 you will enter into a dependency nightmare - so it's better to have the 2 versions live together side by side.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Post by thomase »

Hi UDi, i read your reply to make a symbolic link to replace ff3 with ff2. I am still confused about how to create the link. Do I create a file in /usr/local/bin to point to a file in /usr/bin? if so how? do I use terminal and sudo?. 2/ How do I insert the new location in /usr/bin without correct permission.

my location of FF2 is /home/tomh/Download/firefox, sorry to be so dumb but a step by step explanation would be very helpful. I am using Mint 6 and trying to import backups from febe.

Thnx, tomh

Return to “Beginner Questions”