Accessing external drive in Mint 6 KDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anthony2010

Accessing external drive in Mint 6 KDE

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi there.

Im using this new mint 6 KDE and I have to say it rocks! Its got everything :)

I have one slight prob which is that I cannot move files to my external drive. Its formatted to ext 3 so thats ok, Its even seen by the system but it says 'permission denied'.

I thought this might be a matter of being in the right 'groups' based on a former life using openSUSE11.1, but Ive messed around there and its seems not to be the case.

I bet its something simple thats evading me! Any suggestions guys n gals?

ant.

n.b Ive attached a snaphot so you can see the prob in all its glory :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Decemberdoom

Re: Accessing external drive in Mint 6 KDE

Post by Decemberdoom »

Try running the following command.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R *username* /media/disk  
Fred

Post by Fred »

anthony2010,

Where do you have this external drive partition mounted and what is it's partition designator? If you can't answer these questions, do as I suggest below.

With your external drive connected, post screen shots of your partition tables as shown in Gparted. It is in your menu.

Fred
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi Fred.

ok Ive been through every single available program in kde and gparted ( which Ive used in the past with a gnome desktop) is not there. Honest! Quite how we edit partitions in kde is now a mystery!

What is there is kwikdisk and also what can be seen in the snapshot. The external drive is right there at just under 200 ( Not sure what happenned to the other 9% of the drive but hey :)

Heres the snapshot of that. Ive attached it.

Thanks for whatever you can think of!!

ant.

Return to “Beginner Questions”