Few n00b questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ryoukii

Few n00b questions

Post by Ryoukii »

Just a few questions. I got ubuntu shipped over to me last week and i just wanted to try it out but after many attempts and asking questions on there forum i couldnt. I kept getting these hazzy lines coming up on the screen like you do when ur tv isnt tuned. I asked a few more people and they said its my grapics card. I have a RADEON X600 256 Mb Grapic card. Is that ok for linux mint ? Anyways i want to try out Linux mint and im wondering if theres anyway to get a free live cd shipped over ? or do i have to download it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Decemberdoom

Re: Few n00b questions

Post by Decemberdoom »

Usually, Linux is able to at least display low quality graphics, even with cards that aren't supported. I'm no expert on video hardware, but I think a few google searches should be able to answer your question.
Ryoukii

Post by Ryoukii »

I tryed ubuntu 'Safe Mode graphics' aswell and it still didnt work i got a 'boot error' and that tutorial seems ok but i think i would need help with it ( never ever used linux before ) but am not installing ubuntu well not yet. i just want to try linux out. and since ubuntu wouldnt let me try it out i wonder would linux mint work and what are the requirments for it and can i get a free linux mint cd shipped over. Would be handier to get ubuntu working since i waited 3 weeks for it to ship over but anyways :P
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Ryoukii,

If you want a copy of Linux Mint, you can order it from one of the vendors listed in the main website. As far as I know, Mint does not ship free CDs as Ubuntu does. If you want a Mint CD quicker, you can download and burn your own. I can suggest the torrent as a good option since I have never gotten a bad download that way. I do not know what your hardware/software combination is on your end, so you will have to get the downloading and burning done on your own, or with the help of another Windows user.

The best way to see if Mint will run on your hardware is to load the Live CD. It is very similar to Ubuntu, so you may or may not have the same issues you had with Ubuntu. You also might wish to consider matching the ISO to your hardware. If you have 32-bit, choose the 32-bit version. If you have 64-bit, consider using the 64-bit version.

Once you get something up and running, you can post back for any answers to questions you may have. Good luck.
Ryoukii

Post by Ryoukii »

Dell dimension DIM9100
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
3.19 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM.

My grapic card is RADEON X600 256 HyperMemory

Around 5 people have told me now its my grapic card but im not paying just to try out ubuntu or linux mint since its alike. Any linix distrubution that would work well with my graphic card ?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You might try PCLinux 2009.1, my ATI onboard graphics worked with it.
Ryoukii

Post by Ryoukii »

K Thanks. I might try that even though i have to download it
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

My secondary machine has an ATI Rage Ultra 16MB in it. It is a 2001 model and has never had a problem with any Linux distro. It has never run with a proprietary drive since the open-source ones always worked just fine. In PCLinuxOS 2009, it runs great with both the KDE and GNOME versions. In fact, the older machine will run distros my newer machine has problems with.

I can suggest PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, and even openSUSE as candidates for your testing. You have to find a distro that your hardware likes. That is always part of the fun.
Ryoukii

Post by Ryoukii »

I wanted to have Ubuntu because its ment to be the best for beginners but im not going getting a new graphic card for it, anyways Thanks but ive only a very slow 1MB broadband connection so downloading them isnt going to be much fun lol. You can buy them for 1.75 USD dollers which is quite good

Return to “Beginner Questions”