Dead laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Dead laptop

Post by Old Marcus »

I had my dad's laptop on hibernate after I left it, and when I came back to it, it wouldn't wake up. I force shut it down and tried rebooting. Now there is no response whatsoever. Power goes to the laptop, but nothin shows on the screen. Thinking it as a dead screen, I plugged it into a working monitor but the monitor claimed there was no input, leading me to think the mobo died for some reason. Is there any possible fix? I can't even get to an OS, nothing shows from the moment I turn it on to the moment I shut it down. Claiming on the warranty isn't an option, since the laptop was bought second hand from Ebay.

Any help, if possible, would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Dead laptop

Post by viking777 »

Put a live cd in and see what happens.

If the mobo is dead then I am sure you don't need me to tell you that on a laptop you are pretty well stuffed.
garda

Post by garda »

Maybe it is just an issue with ACPI of some sort. Have you tried removing the battery for half an hour or so?

Some notebooks just do not like getting told to hibernate by Linux, and may exhibit some odd behaviour at some point.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

It's ok, working fine now. I get the feeling it may have been an overheating problem, but things are fine now. Thanks for your help.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

(Hail the thread Necromancer)

Anyway, Hibernate is the cause of the problem, and disconnecting the battery sorts the problem. I want a more permanent solution though. Is there a way to disable hibernation, or get it to work with the laptop? This would allow me to leave the laptop and not worry if I get sidetracked. I know I should probably put it on suspend, but I'm lazy. :P If there is any solution, advice would be appreciated, thanks.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Have you verified your settings in Preferences > Power Management yet? You can probably get it to stay awake, at least. Good luck.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'd like to know if you personally verified that this laptop successfully goes into and out of hibernate before you put it on hibernate and left it for an extended period of time. It may well be, and what I suspect is, that the laptop FAILED to successfully go into hibernate and hung up in the sequence somewhere but this was unobserved.

Hibernate problems are sometimes ACPI problems, but sometimes they're swap problems. Sometimes they're the result of bad memory.
1. Did it hibernate properly in Windows?
2. Do you have adequate swap for the amount of ram installed?
3. Have you run a full memory test recently?
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Set it to never, so that should be fine. To answer your questions:

Yes, it does hibernate properly in Windows.
Yes, I made the swap size double the RAM, 1.4GB for about 700 mb RAM
No, I haven't.

Return to “Hardware Support”