Blue and Green Tint on DVD [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nathan_S

Blue and Green Tint on DVD [SOLVED]

Post by Nathan_S »

I have Linux Mint Elyssa on my main system. While trying to play a DVD in VLC Player or totem movie player the image color is greenish/Bluish. What should I Do ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Blue and Green Tint on DVD

Post by grimdestripador »

did your "Hue" slider in your video options move from its centered position. Is it for all movies.
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

grimdestripador wrote:did your "Hue" slider in your video options move from its centered position. Is it for all movies.
I don't know. all movies have this hue more or less. Youtube seems ok.
I use the nvidia driver and don't remember changing any settings.
The monitor physical sliders also seem OK
I think it was OK few months ago when I saw another DVD. need to check that.
Any other suggestions ? The monitor is OK, I see Windows on it perfectly.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

When I was running Mint 5 Elyssa, I remember all was great until an Ubuntu update hit me. I had the green color problem in DVD playback after that. I also lost my previews and menu options at about the same time. The player would kick right in with the movie in its greenish splendor. I did not research it much further since Mint 6 was already rolling out about that time. That much I can verify and share with you.
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

rivenought wrote:When I was running Mint 5 Elyssa, I remember all was great until an Ubuntu update hit me. I had the green color problem in DVD playback after that. I also lost my previews and menu options at about the same time. The player would kick right in with the movie in its greenish splendor. I did not research it much further since Mint 6 was already rolling out about that time. That much I can verify and share with you.
Thanks, it was very helpful, As you mentioned, I also install from UBUNTU repositories different updates, will check in Ubuntu Forums.
Because this is my main system I did not install a dual boot with Felicia, and also did not update or replace with it, maybe when arrange all my systems and backups, will do so. I believe that till then Mint 7 will be probably out, so I will install it.
Do you remember which specific update, to make my research easier ?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I do not remember the update, but I know that a fresh install of Mint 5 was perfect. As long as I did only Level 1 and 2 updates, I had no problems whatsoever. Though, if I had to guess, I would say something related to gstreamer or Totem. It may have xine-related, but I am just grasping at straws here.

For the record, a fully updated Mint 6 64-bit install works great on my hardware. You may wish to consider upgrading to Mint 6, roll back to the original Mint 5, or wait for Mint 7. If you rarely ever watch a DVD, you may not need to worry about it, but I understand the desire to get everything up and running at 100% again. Good luck.
Nathan_S

Re: Blue and Green Tint on DVD [SOLVED]

Post by Nathan_S »

rivenought wrote:I do not remember the update, but I know that a fresh install of Mint 5 was perfect. As long as I did only Level 1 and 2 updates, I had no problems whatsoever. Though, if I had to guess, I would say something related to gstreamer or Totem. It may have xine-related, but I am just grasping at straws here.

For the record, a fully updated Mint 6 64-bit install works great on my hardware. You may wish to consider upgrading to Mint 6, roll back to the original Mint 5, or wait for Mint 7. If you rarely ever watch a DVD, you may not need to worry about it, but I understand the desire to get everything up and running at 100% again. Good luck.
After reading in the UBUNTU forums. I found out this problem appeared there to, In Mint 5 I did the following:
(Totem) Movie Player-
  • Edit > Preferences
  • Display Tab
  • Pressed "Reset to Defaults" button.
  • Hue Slider moves automatically to middle.
  • Moving the Hue Slider fully to the left.
  • Wallah... Working

VLC Media player-
  • Settings > Preferences...
  • Video > Output Modules
  • Marking Advanced Options on.
  • Choosing in "Video output module" Default.
  • Wallah... Working

Hope it will help somebody.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Excellent! I am glad some Ubuntu folks got it straightened out, and you were diligent enough to search it up. I know I should have done more research at the time, but with a shiny new Mint 6, my attention was diverted. You may want to edit your first post to say (Solved) so others can find this information easier.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

grimdestripador wrote:did your "Hue" slider in your video options move from its centered position. Is it for all movies.
(Totem) Movie Player-

* Edit > Preferences
* Display Tab
* Pressed "Reset to Defaults" button.
* Hue Slider moves automatically to middle.
* Moving the Hue Slider fully to the left.
* Wallah... Working
what I meant. I said options, since he mentioned both programs. Good job for actually finding the path of this operation.

Return to “Sound”