Open Office annoyance

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Open Office annoyance

Post by oliverjames »

Bloody thing keeps crashing. Version 2.4.1. Anyone else had this problem?

I'll try re-installing it.

Oliverjames
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Open Office annoyance

Post by LaneLester »

I'm a newbie to Linux Mint, but an oldie with Ubuntu and OpenOffice. I've been using OO 3.0 for ages, and I can't imagine why Ubuntu and LM are still distributing OO 2.4. About the first thing I did after installing LM was to uninstall OO 2.4, download the OO 3.0 debs from openoffice.org, and install it.

It's very easy to do. Unpack the archive and then get in the DEBS folder (the update program has never worked for me). Then execute:
dpkg -i *.deb
After that, cd to the folder inside DEBS (can't remember its name) and do the above command again to put it in the menu.

Lane
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Thanks Lane, It's true that Oo 3.0 under Zenwalk has not given this problem. I'm going to upgrade the version on my favourite Mint OS.

By the way, does your Oo experience include merging documents, I have to print 2 batches of 500 tickets for our Big Band concert weekend by this thursday and I'm struggling. :? Can you (or anyone) give me some pointers, perhaps to another site explaining ways of doing this.

Oliverjames
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

An update, continuing from my previous post, to say that I have found the solution for printing a large quantity of numbered tickets. Using Ooffice version 3.01(with Java):
- Create a csv spreadsheet containing one column headed "number" with the number array 1 to 500 beneath it.
- Select <edit> then <exchange databases>, browse for the newly created csv datafile and "register it".
- Create new label document inserting detail as required entering data into the first (top, left) label.
- At the desired location on that label select <insert><fields><other>
- In the "fields" window open the database tab and choose mail merge field.
- Run down the hierarchy levels of the newly created csv file and click on the text corresponding to the column header of the csv file. Then click on "insert" This will add a database reference in the chosen location on the first label.
- Returning to the "fields" window select "next record" and click on the furthest development of the reference to the csv data file. Then click on "insert"
- Now click on the radio button called "synchronize labels" opened when the label sheet was created. All done.
- Do test print run, print a couple of pages to file and check the layout. If all is well print complete run to file and you're ready for the paper print run.

Oliverjames

Return to “Software & Applications”