Reversing a dual-boot setup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nicholas
Level 1
Level 1

Reversing a dual-boot setup

Post by Nicholas »

In setting up a dual-boot with XP and Linux Mint on a SATA two drive system, I've had problems when I either uninstalled Mint or removed the disk containing Mint from the computer. I wasn't able to boot into Windows anymore - I just received an error, so I finally gave up and reinstalled Windows, quite a task with all the downloads from Microsoft, in contrast, Linux is easy to install. I would also think it would be a problem if I were to change from one Linux distribution to another; such as to Ubuntu from Mint - or the like, since the boot loader would not recognize either Windows anymore nor Ubuntu. Since I'm relatively new to Linux, I could use some help on this.
Nicholas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Reversing a dual-boot setup

Post by DataMan »

I'd add one additional recommendation (personal). If real estate permits, make your multi-boot life a whole lot easier by installing your ops on the same H/D versus spanning multiple drives.

DataMan
AK Dave

Re: Reversing a dual-boot setup

Post by AK Dave »

There are many good guides on how to dual-boot XP and linux. None that I'm familiar with advise you to install Windows on one drive, Linux on another, and have the grub on one drive's MBR point to a grub menu stored on another drive.

But thats what you did.

If you physically yank the linux drive, the MBR on the Windows drive doesn't know what to do. So the boot fails with "some error" that you kindly don't demonstrate or copy for us. But the error is self-evident.

Of course you can fix the MBR on the Windows disc using common Windows utility software. I believe that the tool you need is on a Windows install CD. No problem finding that, right?

If your concern is that you won't be able to install another version of Mint or Ubuntu, don't worry. You can install right over the top of your old version. But when it comes time to do so, I recommend that FIRST you restore the MBR on the first drive using a Windows install CD's utility to fix the MBR. The follow a reputable "dual boot windows & linux" guide such as the one referenced from the linuxmint wiki.

But until that time, just keep chugging along with what you have since it seems to be working. May not be optimal, but it works for now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”