driver problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
micahh2

driver problems

Post by micahh2 »

I cant figure out which graphics card I have, my Machine Is quite old but I cant seem to update the drivers right because I cant figure out which model I have. Thanks I, absolutely love Linux 6 mint!

oops almost forgot,
I believe this is the relevant output from the lspci command:
VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome] (rev 01)

if some could get a model number or some thing from this I would be much obliged.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: driver problems

Post by garda »

I neither own nor maintain computers equipped with VIA UniChrome display adapters, but I believe the instructions at VIA Arena will help you install the latest available driver. Good luck and please report the results.

P.S.: For detailed hardware information, you might want to use any of these commands instead:

Code: Select all

sudo lspci -nnvvv
The -nnvvv syntax tells lspci to display vendor and device codes in names and numbers (nn) as well as to show informations in the most verbose mode (vvv).

Or

sudo lshw
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

Thank you, I'll do my best
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

I'm sorry to keep bothering you guys but unfortunately I cant get the package to open and or Install. coming from a windows background I'm not used to doing much at the command prompt I'm am familiar with a good amount of dos commands but am unable to do much in this terminal, so sorry if I'm missing some thing obvious. I'm not sure that I got the right driver but I think so, and I don't think it has anything to do with being root I've tried that. Thank you for your patience.

I get nothing when I click on what seems to be a Installer
And in terminal I don't the right command to run it so I get the output:

p
sudo: via_ubuntu710_unichrome-v40072d-kernal-bin-_v0.80.zip: command not found
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

This may not help any one experiencing the same problems but it think I'm going to go the cheap way out any reinstall Linux 6 Mint, cowardly I know but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (well I know what I'm doing wrong I just don't know how to do it right) trying to install this driver. So unless any one else has any idea's or a better way to reset the System (I installed it with Windows) I'm giving up.

need more info?
micahh2

Post by micahh2 »

Sorry But only my wireless driver shows up. Any other ideas? I appreciate all the effort.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

via_ubuntu710_unichrome-v40072d-kernal-bin-_v0.80.zip is an archive file.
You need to right click and extract here to install the drivers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”