Sometimes don't boot and shut down correctly

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BaidareW

Sometimes don't boot and shut down correctly

Post by BaidareW »

Hi,
I have laptop with Mint 6 x64, booting with nolapic noapic pci=nomsi. Using latest Nvidia drivers.

Once in about ten times on booting I get only black screen, caps lock and num lock is working, but I can't see anything so the only way is to shutdown by holding power button. After this boot is normal, no file system check.

The same thing with shutdown procedure, it saves everything dissmounts and then black (sometimes many colours) screen with no life on it. The only way to shutdown then holding power button. After this computer starts normally.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Sometimes don't boot and shut down correctly

Post by Husse »

This is the worst kind of problem there is
I have absolutely no clue to your problem, but generally I say this is hardware
Can you find some kind of pattern?
Instead of the power button do as follows
Press AltGr (the right hand Alt) and PrtScr/SysRq simultaneously (unfortunately some laptops do not have either or both these keys) Then key in, not too fast, R E I S U B
You get a correct reboot - works almost always
BaidareW

Post by BaidareW »

Husse wrote: Press AltGr (the right hand Alt) and PrtScr/SysRq simultaneously (unfortunately some laptops do not have either or both these keys) Then key in, not too fast, R E I S U B
If it was hardware problem I would face same problem with Vista. Maybe it is something with drivers..
I have right Alt, and I have PrtScr and SysRq on different buttons. Do I need to press Fn key with SysRq because it is second value not main.

Few days ago I read about similar problem and there was some answers on how to deal with it writing something in config files, but I can't find it any more :)

I will post back results.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's SysRq you need so it seems you have to press three keys :roll:
BaidareW

Post by BaidareW »

Typing r e i s u b rebooted copmuter after black screen. Sure it is not the fix, but something..

Thank you. Still searching for that page with instructions on config files.

Return to “Installation & Boot”