Mint-ified XFCE x64 possibility

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Mint-ified XFCE x64 possibility

Post by MissileCop »

Spacecoyote has written a script that will hopefully give what more than a few of us have been wanting; a mint-ified XFCE x64.

Thread can be found in the Tutorials/How To section of the board, or just go here; http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 54#p136954

Hopefully, some of those who know far more about Mint, and Linux, can take a moment to look at this, and tell us if spacecoyote is on the right track. I'd be more than happy to be the first to bork it, but I won't have a chance to tinker with it until next week.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint-ified XFCE x64 possibility

Post by Husse »

It's always dangerous to do so massive changes but I think it'll work
Be prepared to reinstall so have your data on another partition
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint-ified XFCE x64 possibility

Post by MissileCop »

Husse wrote:It's always dangerous to do so massive changes but I think it'll work
Be prepared to reinstall so have your data on another partition
It worked, with minimal borking. :D Once I resolved my boot/gfxmenu/default.message issue, it now loads up, and runs like a regular Mint edition. Awesome! :mrgreen:

Amarok, and K3b both take some time to load on my XFCE Felicia 32-bit, so I installed them, to see if there was a difference in load times on the x64. The load time differences are quite noticeable, and improved, especially with the K3b.

I'll tinker with it for a few more days, and if all goes well, I'll move it to my primary desktop partitions. And yes, always try to have your data on another partition. At the least. Not only is mine on separate partitions, all of my data is on another drive. That way, if I'm working with various distros on one partition, it's far less likely that I'll accidentally delete one of my data partitions, when installing another distro on my distro drive.

For the spec curious, here's what I'm running the Frankensteined Mint XFCE x64 on;

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker
Motherboard: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 v2.0
CPU: AMD 64x2 2.6 Ghz 5000 Black Box Edition
CPU Cooler: Rosewill Z1
Power Supply: Thermaltake 500W PSU
Memory: 2 Gb Kingston PC2 6400 800 Mhz
CD/DVD Drive: Lite-On LH-20A1S
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce 7200GS
TV Tuner Card: Hauppage HVR-1800 MCE
PlusDeck2c Cassette Deck
Dynex Multi-Card Reader
Koutech PCI USB Card

Hard Drives:

Seagate 250Gb X 2
Seagate 500Gb

Operating Systems:

Linux Mint 6 (Felicia) XFCE
Windows XP Pro SP3
Linux Mint 6 (Felicia) XFCE x64 :mrgreen:

Big thanks again to spacecoyote, for making this possible!

Return to “Xfce”