Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hamburn

Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Post by hamburn »

I have a problem with Skype. Every time I try to make a call to the test-account I get a message " Audio output fails" or so, I get it in German.
Has some body a hint how I can solve that problem?

Thank you

H.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64

Post by Husse »

Is there a 64-bit version?
If so it should behave just like the 32-bit version
Can you use Skype at all?
What kind of internet connection do you have? I think the message is generated locally - it's not a voice message is it?
hamburn

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64

Post by hamburn »

Thanks for the questions Husse.
I try to answer them here
Don't know if it is 64 bit version. I installed it with Mint installer. But in the time since then I also installed it on the main version 32bit. Same result. I tested the mike and the earphones by using audio recorder. Worked.
After that I installed PC/OS 2009 v2a on the other half of my hard drive. And there Skype works. It's also based on Ubuntu but on an older version (8.04).
But I want to stay with Mint. Isn't it so, that Mint is using an other sound architecture than Ubuntu?

And no, I can't use Skype. I can log in, and it shows I'm online, but... The message is generated locally. No voice message :) That's just the problem, Skype can't reach my sound devices.

Connection is a LAN. And being on the same hard drive in the same computer I tried Skype with PC/OS on the same cable.

Thank you
hamburn

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Post by hamburn »

I solved it. I de installed Skype, then running in my root account, deleted every bit of Skype that lingered. And there were a lot of files which lingered.
After that I installed Skype new, but not from Mint software install but from synoptic. I installed Skype static OSS wich is not using Alsa, but OSS.

That was the solution, now it works.

Thanks Husse, for making you thoughts about my problem even if I found it my self.

Now I can use the other half of my hard drive again for playing around with other things :P
Husse

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Post by Husse »

yes that is a problem - (stray) config files that makes things go bad - a bit like registry problems in Windows

Return to “Software & Applications”