Starting a Video Crashes Firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Starting a Video Crashes Firefox

Post by LaneLester »

I'm a Linux oldie, but a Mint newbie. When I try to play a video at a website, Firefox exits.

I renamed the .mozilla folder to give Firefox a fresh start, but the problem is still there.

I noted that a search did not turn up anyone else with this problem, but I know what forum searches are like.

P.S. I was able to play a YouTube video in Google Reader, but a video on a sales site caused the crash.

Lane
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian36

Re: Starting a Video Crashes Firefox

Post by brian36 »

Mint6, MaxData3000, dualcore, 4G ram
Flash not working: Initially Firefox was very slow to load pages with page greying-out just before it completes the load. I renamed the .mozilla folder and allowed FF to restart. FF appeared to be back to normal then I noticed Youtube, etc, would not play. I checked that javascript was enabled and and the latest flash app was installed. I tried clearing FF and related apps and reinstalled - no good. I also disabled all add-ons - same result. So now I use opera which is unaffected by these problems, but I do miss the DownloadHelper. Any further ideas would be appreciated. I would prefer not to reinstall. Thanks.
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LaneLester »

Darn! I was hoping your post was an answer, but you're just a fellow sufferer. I think I better install Opera for those Firefox-in-Mint-but-not-Ubuntu-crashing videos.

Lane
brian36

Post by brian36 »

Postscript: I 'marked for complete removal' all Firefox and Adobe Flash 10 items. Previously, I had rename my .mozilla folder to allow FF to start again. Then I reinstalled FF. I used the Flash download rather than install thru the package manager. Altho I had done all this before, this time it worked. Mint alerted me to a required upgrade to Flash. That worked, too. Now I'm happy, but I wish I could understand why I needed to repeat the operations to achieve this.

Return to “Software & Applications”