Task Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Task Manager

Post by jerrybee »

How do I bring up Task Manager if a program has frozen the system? Someone suggested the Ctrl-Esc key combo, but that doesn't work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fwc

Re: Task Manager

Post by fwc »

The system monitor is probably what you are looking for. There is a list of processes and the fastest way to open it, is by opening GnomeDo and typing system monitor until it comes up. Otherwise its in the menu or you can put it in your taskbar. hope this helps.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

You can also add Force Quit and System Monitor to the gnome panel. Right click on the panel -> add to panel -> scroll down select and then add them. The system monitor will show activity and if you click on it the system monitor will launch in its own window. Clicking force quit icon then on the offending window as well. Also the system monitor will show the ID for the process and you can open a terminal window and enter kill ID number return. For example:

Code: Select all

kill 6622
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

Thanks for the responses. I've added System Monitor and Force Quit to the panel, and will give them a try. But when I said the system was frozen, that meant the cursor movement was erratic and slow to respond and responded in jumps, and when I was finally able to get it to the quit X symbol in the upper right of the window, and clicked on the X, nothing happened. So I'm not sure that I can get the cursor to move to the Force Quit icon in the panel and that clicking on it would cause any response. Having said all that, I appreciate the help and will give it the old college try in a few minutes.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

No joy :( . I was able to get the cursor to the Force Quit icon, clicked on it, got the window saying to click on a window to force the application to quit, but at that point the cursor was completely frozen and wouldn't move to enable me to follow the instructions. So am again forced to hit the Reset button and re-boot to get things working again, which is what I was having to do before and really don't like to do.
One thing that may be complicating things is that the offending program is a Windows program running under Wine. And to make things even crazier is that I've tried the same thing within that program that causes it to lock up in Mint, I've tried it in Ubuntu 9.04 and PCLinuxOS 2009.1 and the program operates normally and doesn't lock up !!!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”