CPU Maxed Out Too Frequently

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stoneheart

CPU Maxed Out Too Frequently

Post by stoneheart »

I'm running LM 6 XFCE on a Dell Optiplex GX260 (1.8 gigahertz) with a gig of ram. I'm not doing much...Just running Firefox (about 10 tabs open) with the System Monitor up at all times. It's a very usable system, but more frequently than I would like the CPU maxes out to 100% causing a browser freeze-up. If I wait a minute or so, the CPU usage will drop and then Firefox will be usable again. RAM usage is consistently at 27% or so with just running OS. As I use Firefox throughout the day, it climbs to 50% and never dwindles, and I eventually kill X to get it back down, since I know it's related to an XFCE memory leak.

Anyway, any suggestions on the CPU utilization issue. I know this is an old computer, but it's still a Pentium 4 cpu. Surely you should be able to run Linux well on a P4!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: CPU Maxed Out Too Frequently

Post by garda »

Ripose wrote:Also System Monitor uses an incredible amount of CPU time, according to itself!
Turn it off, Firefox should improve.
That is so true. Top -- the command-line resource monitor -- is much more reliable.
stoneheart

Post by stoneheart »

Thank for the replies about Firefox and the System Monitor. I did try following the advice of the optimization article for FF, but it actually made download speeds worse for me than better, so I reverted to the default config file.

Is this CPU maxed out problem normal though? At the risk of sounding like a troll, I had no problems running XP with Firefox and the Windows Task Manager with performance stats showing on this particular system. I thought Linux was supposed to be less resource hungry than Windows... Not true?

I'm a fan of the LAMP platform, so I thought I would move to a Linux desktop as well. I'm beginning to think Linux is still best on the server. Please forgive me if I come off as contentious. Not my intent at all.

Perhaps the key is to use different software like Opera instead of trying to duplicate my Windows desktop? I can believe the Mozilla developers pay far more attention to the Windows version since more users use it.
stoneheart

Post by stoneheart »

el_b wrote:Flash messes up alot on mine, try disabling it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but doing so means Youtube will not play for me, which is a deal breaker. Flash compatibility is a must have for the average computer user which is no doubt why it is pre-installed within Mint.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

...and use conky as system monitor. :)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
stoneheart

Post by stoneheart »

Hmm, but is my assertion that a P4 with a gig of ram should NOT have this problem correct or not? I'm trying to determine whether Linux Mint/Ubuntu is simply too heavy for this equipment or not. As I said, it ran XP and Firefox fine. I realize I can use other software, but that's not really getting to the root of the issue.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I have Mint 6 installed on a Dell OptiPlex GX150 which has a Pentium 3 in it running at 1.1 GHz along with 512 MB RAM. That machine has older specifications than yours, yet I cannot duplicate your exact issue.

However, on that machine, I have Tracker completely removed, no enhanced effects, and use the GNOME menu instead of the mintMenu. I also have a couple of the services and sessions disabled such as Bluetooth and Samba, etc. If my machine will run without any issues, I am am confident that yours will, as well. You just may need to tweak a few things.

This machine was a donation, so I have no idea how XP ran on it. To be honest, I only booted into XP to get the CD-ROM drive to open so I could put in the Mint Live CD. I quickly rebooted (never saw XP, actually), and Mint has been running on it ever since.

While not an exact answer to your post, I know a similar machine with weaker performance will run Mint 6 GNOME.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

As others have said if you want a system monitor all the time switch to something else. I recommend either using conky (which takes a bit of setting up) or installing screenlets and using "sysmonitor" which is based on conky and easy to setup (but not as configurable). I have a 3GHz dual core but in LM5 using the system monitor in full screen essentially left me with 1 core. In LM6 the panel app does the same.

Switch to a lighter system monitor and then see what your CPU is doing. If it's still got issues try another browser and see if things improve.

Return to “Beginner Questions”