No 6 channel sound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadowriser

No 6 channel sound

Post by Shadowriser »

I am having two very odd sound problems that my second computer never had with Linux. First the sound channel in mixer in both KDE and Gnome distro's show up as 6 channel in the mixer panel but the center channel and rear have no sound at all. I have already made sure those channels are not muted. I then did a google search and played with alsa in terminal which got me no where.

My old computer had Realtek ALC 883 on an Asus Core 2 Board. My newer system using HDA ATI SB ALC 888. I checked the ALC 888 in windows and all channels work fine. On my old board I could also change from 2 channel to 6 or even 8 channel sound. This mixer is only letting me choose 6 or 8. Six was on by default but no sound from center or rear. My front sound jacks on my Antec 900 case also work fine in windows.

Hoping it is just something simple I am missing :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: No 6 channel sound

Post by Husse »

Well the HDA ATI SB ALC 888 is probably an Intel HDA so the standard solution for it would apply
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... sa#p107982
You would have to change model= to what you have or auto
The HDA can't handle pulse audio ...
Shadowriser

Re: No 6 channel sound

Post by Shadowriser »

Its an AM2 chipset not Intel though. I will try that solution and hope it works.

Return to “Hardware Support”