Sites Requiring Javascript to be Enaabled

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Sites Requiring Javascript to be Enaabled

Post by Meteor »

I recently installed Felicia XFCE CE and have been happily using it. Suddenly, some websites (or portions thereof) are telling me to enable Javascript as they require it. This is confusing because as far as I can see, Firefox Preferences Content tells me that Javascript is enabled (it has a checkmark beside it) as does Java. I clicked the "Advanced" button for Javascript in that Preferences dialogue box and have the first two choices checked, viz., Move or resize existing windows and Raise or lower windows. There are three other choices in this dialogue box that are not checked and I assume that what I see are the defaults.

To me, it would appear Javascript is fine. I do not ever recall doing anything in the FF Preferences Content box in the past. I've never felt that I needed to do anything. I do not recall any websites complaining about Javascript not being enabled either. Am I missing something?

Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Sites Requiring Javascript to be Enaabled

Post by Husse »

Do you have noscript enabled (not knowing it :))
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

No Script? I'd never heard of it until I loaded Felicia and got the latest version of Firefox. It does appear to restrict website from running and seems to be a new feature of Firefox. It was there so I've left it.

I've just finished adjusting some of the choices available and will test to see what happens when I go to the sites that were causing a concern.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Meteor
Husse

Post by Husse »

You see, while Linux basically is immune to viruses (not entirely!) dangerous javascript can be executed in the browser be it on Windows or Linux, not to talk of flash so something to protect you there is necessary
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

Thanks Husse. I did a bit of checking boxes and now can get the form that I needed to display. I'll watch "noscript" closely now as I see that it put limits on same pages. For the Linux Mint Forum pages, I'm getting a clear, blue "S" in the bottom right corner of my screen. I've indicated Mint is OK. :)

This query can be considered as "Solved" from my point of view.

Meteor

Return to “Software & Applications”