Linux Distribution Quiz

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Linux Distribution Quiz

Post by FedoraRefugee »

eh, I got 100% for debian, Mint and the Ubuntu family. But only because I said I prefer .deb over anything else. These tests are a bit silly because everyone's experience with any particular distro will vary quite a bit. For instance, I find myself leaning towards the Gentoo side of things as opposed to Slack. But I can respect Slack. Truth is, with a couple/few years good experience any user should be able to comfortably use any distro, though note I am not ashamed to admit that I still lack the patience for LFS. I have just reached a point where I am sick of tinkering with the distro and constantly trolling forums to find the latest fix. I love Mint in that it just works. It is moderately up to date in that I dont much care if the kernel is a few versions behind and I can simply compile the apps I want the latest of from source or find a deb somewhere. Debian squeeze is probably better for me and I enjoyed Sidux, but Mint just seems to fit so here I am. I hate Ubuntu but for some reason I really dig Mint. It is what Ubuntu should be.

Anyway, take the test results with a grain of salt. It has been my experience that new people will either like Fedora or Ubuntu to the point of really liking one and totally hating the other. This seems to me to be the best base to start from. Just MHO though...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lantesh

Re: Linux Distribution Quiz

Post by Lantesh »

Here are my results for the quiz. Mint came up as a 100% match for me. 8)
We found the following perfect match(es):

100% Ubuntu
Homepage: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
Screenshots: The Coding Studio
Ubuntu is a free, open source operating system that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release. Ubuntu ships with the latest Gnome release as well as a selection of server and desktop software that makes for a comfortable desktop experience off a single installation CD.
(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)
Get this distribution on CD/DVD at PCTech101

100% Linux Mint
Homepage: http://www.linuxmint.com/
Screenshots: The Coding Studio
Originally launched as a variant of Ubuntu with integrated media codecs, Linux Mint has now developed into one of the most user-friendly distributions on the market - complete with a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, a web-based package installation interface, and a number of different editions. Perhaps most importantly, this is one project where the developers and users are in constant interaction, resulting in dramatic, user-driven improvements with every new release
(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)
Get this distribution on CD/DVD at PCTech101

In addition, we found these matches, sorted by how well they match:

95% Debian
Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 15490 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine.
Visit Debian at: http://www.debian.org/ May not be suitable because:
# Does not have a graphical installer

95% Kubuntu
Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.
Visit Kubuntu at: http://www.kubuntu.org/ May not be suitable because:
# Does not use the desired desktop environment, but has it available

Return to “Chat about Linux”