sound server error

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrreality13
Level 1
Level 1

sound server error

Post by mrreality13 »

Hi all,
I just installed Bianca-KDE Edition and im getting a error,

"sound server fatal error,cpu over load ,aborting"

it pops up every 60 seconds or so any ideas ?
(i got the same error with a few other distros on this pc only)
but i had this on my test pc(ran fine just slower older cele 1.1 ghz // 512 pc 100// sound blaster live ) and liked so i moved it to my 2ndary machine. .
Priamary machine runs ubnutu feisty 8)
(btw im all linux all the time now but still a n00b 4 months and counting)

specs:
acer t-135 tower
amd sempy 3300+
1 gig pc3200
ati 9550 agp

onboard sound
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Pls give us a bit more information
Pops up every 60 seconds - so the computer does not close down? Have you got some program to check on your cpu? If not, you could reboot and enter BIOS to check on cpu temperature.
Which sound card?
Probably built in. If you don't know, run lspci in a terminal and somewhere in the output you'll find the sound card mentioned.
mrreality13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrreality13 »

hi ,Thanx
i use on board sound ,the pc seems to runs fine i just get the "warning window"It does hang when i try to shut it down, and what is a good program for checking temp? I will look at the bios tonight.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok run the lspci command as well (possibly lspci | grep "*audio*" gets you right on spot).
A suitalbe program is mbmon, it's in Synaptics
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

it sounds like a kernel module (driver) or daemon problem to do with the sound card.
It could be the "cpu over load" message just keeps repeating even though it only dies once. It just keeps repeating the error to the console.
You could go into a terminal session and the message should keep repeating there too.
:?
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

yepp - and if we know which sound card a mod probe could possibly be used
nick
Level 5
Level 5

sound server error

Post by nick »

Hi
Edgy Bug?
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/arts/+bug/66982
IF you have Via chipset:
Try echo "options snd-via82xx dxs_support=2" |sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
Then reboot, if not what chipset is used for sound?
Nick
mrreality13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrreality13 »

thanx for trying ,
my ps died on the sempy with mint on it so ill have to wait till i get a new one to re-try mint OR ill load it on a diff pc in a dual boot 8) :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

If your ps = power supply died the error you experienced is likely hardware related. Before a ps dies it generally gives unstable voltage for some time and that can give all sorts of errors.

Return to “Other topics”