The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rob Brill

Re: A few problems

Post by Rob Brill »

[quote="roadrash"]I have encountered 3 problems so far using KDE RC1. All the partitions on my hard disk are mounting Ok at startup but I am unable to write to any of them this is annoying because i had this problem.

Nope. I am able to write to any partitions on my hard drive (ext3 - vfat32- ntfs) and including my Windows Vista partition (ntfs) . I've tested it.

RC1 also takes a long time shutting down and then occasionally it will just hang and leave the PC powered on. when it does this I am still able to see & move the mouse pointer.

Yep, it's true, very true

My comments are according to the default installation of KDE CE 6 Felicia RC1

Cheers
Roberto
big_dog1968

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by big_dog1968 »

When it goes to power saving mode I have gotten a white screen that wouldn't go away until I pressed ctrl-alt-backspace to restart KDE.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

To get the latest KDE 4 (eg 4.2.1) enable the ppa repo.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Boo wrote:To get the latest KDE 4 (eg 4.2.1) enable the ppa repo.

Boo
I enabled the two PPA repos that were unchecked in Synaptic, but am unsure what to search for.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

I just ran Mint's updater and it found a bunch of level 3 updates including some related to KDE. Would this be it, or do I have to manually search for it?
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

I just ran Mint's updater and it found a bunch of level 3 updates including some related to KDE. Would this be it, or do I have to manually search for it?
yes just update them all. I have and everything is OK but cant see any difference yet between KDE 4.2 and 4.2.1
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

yes keep the ppa repos enabled if you want the latest KDE4 updates.

Boo
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

WildSioux.

The main thing that put me off 4.2 was a bug in the network manager that meant no one could set up a manual network address. As soon as I opened the network manager and clicked on manual (or static forget what label it had), the OK button grey out and I was not able to enter and save a manual static address. Have you any idea if this has been fixed (supposed to be fixed in 4.2.1)?

If anyone is using 4.2.1 and has the time/inclination, could they open network manager and pretend to choose a manual connection setup. Then let me know what happens. At the moment I have gone back to the LM 5 kde version. Actually, I still think that kde 4 is cr*p, as a long time diehard user of 3.5. But I am worried that eventually version 4 is all we will get and I will be up dinosaur creek without a desktop. So I feel obligated to try and use it...

RJ
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

How are things looking for the official release? Are there any major changes or bugs being worked on. It has been a while since there was an update.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

there are no real major problems that we can fix for the final.
all the fixes are minor.
the best fix is to enable the ppa repo and update to KDE 4.2.1.

Boo
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Boo wrote:there are no real major problems that we can fix for the final.
all the fixes are minor.
the best fix is to enable the ppa repo and update to KDE 4.2.1.

Boo
Ok Boo
Very Nice
ppa enable
I did the Upgrade to the KDE 4.2.1

The system has become more reliable and stable. :o
Luck us, lol

Will we have a final version or is this upgrade enough?

rgds,
Roberto
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Are we going to get back some of the cool right click menu options we have lost? I always liked the ability to right click a file and have the option to md5 it. Also, we used to have the option to md5 from the menu if I remember. Another feature I liked was the "launch terminal here" feature where you could launch the terminal and have it be in the folder you were in. I consider those to be minty enhancements to the user experience that I miss when I try other distros.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

I am struggling to understand what advantages dolphin has over konqueror. I have always thought konqueror was a fine bit of software - I'd need convincing to move to dolphin?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

"Open as root" was also a nice option btw
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

kanishka wrote:"Open as root" was also a nice option btw
Yes that is one of my favorites.
kenboldt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenboldt »

Is there any indication as to how long it will be until we have a final version as opposed to the RC?

I am anxiously awaiting this release as it will be my first taste of KDE4, but I prefer to use final versions instead of betas and RCs.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

aviynw wrote:Yeah, I miss the "launch terminal here" feature. Konqueror still has it, it's just dolphin that doesn't have it. It's the sole reason I'm using konqueror over dolphin. I find myself wanting it a lot.
Hi,
Mine works very good with Dolphin and Konqueror

KDE CE 6- v 4.2.1______________________________________
( If we spoke a different language, we )
( would perceive a somewhat different )
( world. )
( )
( -- Wittgenstein )
--------------------------------------
o
o
___
{~._.~}
( Y )
()~*~()
(_)-(_)
roberto@robertokmint ~/MyDownloads $ ls
pclinuxos-2009.1.iso
roberto@robertokmint ~/MyDownloads $

Linux Mint KDE CE 6 - KDE 4.2.1
Dolphin
Folder > actions > launch terminal here
result above - Dolphin

rgds
Roberto
kenboldt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenboldt »

Sorry to post the same thing twice, but I didn't get any sort of response the first time. I am wondering if there is any estimate of time for when the final version of Mint 6 KDE will be released? I prefer to use final versions, not betas and RCs, and I am anxiously awaiting this release.

Thanks,
Ken
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

kenboldt wrote:Sorry to post the same thing twice, but I didn't get any sort of response the first time. I am wondering if there is any estimate of time for when the final version of Mint 6 KDE will be released? I prefer to use final versions, not betas and RCs, and I am anxiously awaiting this release.

Thanks,
Ken
I don't believe there are any set times when an edition is going to be released. Mint does not follow the same release cycle as Ubuntu does. Once Clem and the others feel that their edition is ready for release, then they do so, but not under any pretenses as others might expect.

Having used the KDE CE RC1 myself, I can say with confidence that it is as close to being complete as you can get even with it being a release candidate. Granted there are going to be updates after installation, but that comes with any distro you use.
kenboldt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenboldt »

Hi dlkreations, thanks for the reply. I can understand the whole "ready when it's ready" philosophy having been a PCLinuxOS user for many years. I wasn't necessarily looking for a hard release date, but more an estimate. A day, a week, a month? that sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and maybe I will give the RC a go, and see what happens.

Cheers,
Ken

Return to “Software & Applications”