Flash video lockups in Firefox, but ok in Opera?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ginjabunny

Flash video lockups in Firefox, but ok in Opera?

Post by ginjabunny »

I have this problem on 2 different PCs (AMD and Intel) both running Mint 6 x86, it has only appeared recently, I mainly use Firefox and I noticed on sites like bbc news, youtube and metro.co.uk that quite often when playing videos the Flash plugin appears to crash and I just end up with an empty box where the video should be, I installed Opera and if I go to the same page on Opera the video plays fine!

Anyone else having this problem?

I found a topic about removing "flashplugin-nonfree" and installing "adobe-flashplugin", but when I go to remove the former it says it also wants to remove "mint-meta-main" but I don't know exactly what this is, so now I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas?

GB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Flash video lockups in Firefox, but ok in Opera?

Post by grimdestripador »

Yes, even on the LM website and Slashdot. I always get flash errors encountered on script.
Goden

Post by Goden »

Arr, I get this too.
I have to refresh a page something like twelve times before I get to actually watch more than 30 seconds of a video.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mint-meta-main is the package that installs everything that mint has installed by default.
It can be removed.
I would reinstall flash.

Code: Select all

apt remove --purge -y flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper

Code: Select all

apt install flashplugin-nonfree
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

Thanks merlwiz79, that did the trick, works fine on both systems now :)

Something people might find helpful is to install something like NoScript plug-in and block the 3rd party advert sites because I find that the flash adverts hog all the cpu and makes the video playback stutter.

Return to “Sound”